• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Setting up Dual Monitors on my PC

Share/Bookmark

OT: Setting up Dual Monitors on my PC

Hey everyone,

Yep, here's Jonny with another Off Topic question.

So, I have some film projects coming up and I'd really like to set up a dual monitor system on my PC. I have two monitors, one hooked into the onboard monitor output and one hooked into my video card (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200). I have a Gateway computer, by the way. Is this setup possible?

If not, I do have my laptop that I could try setting up as a secondary monitor. Would I have to run a network to use it? It does have VGA in it.

Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Jonny (What's this cable do?) Lost
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: OT: Setting up Dual Monitors on my PC

This may not be possible with your motherboard. I know with most of the Dells we have at work that you must disable the onboard VGA when add-on a video card.

There are many reasonably dual port video cards available. Check out newegg.com

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Hey everyone,

Yep, here's Jonny with another Off Topic question.

So, I have some film projects coming up and I'd really like to set up a dual monitor system on my PC. I have two monitors, one hooked into the onboard monitor output and one hooked into my video card (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200). I have a Gateway computer, by the way. Is this setup possible?

If not, I do have my laptop that I could try setting up as a secondary monitor. Would I have to run a network to use it? It does have VGA in it.

Any suggestions? I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Jonny (What's this cable do?) Lost
    1. Many graphic cards enable dual output, just rightclick on your desktop and check the options there.

2. While it is useful to have more space for sequencing etc. I found it much more convenient to run the video itself on a second PC (my laptop). Look here:

http://www.humatic.de and search for their tool "ChainGang". If your sequencer supports midi timecode output or midi clock it should work. I use a midi cable for synchronizing and it works like a bless (the dialog track is in the sequencer but always perfectly in sync with the picture).

This solution takes a lot of load from the DAW here. Before that I had to rerender the video to a tiny window, now I can watch it in full resolution which has its advantages. They have a beta out that even starts from a USB stick.

Hope this helps
    Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

A good solution is it also to attach a genuine television set to the PC.

So you can regard the picture and the sound from a correct television. If you compose for the television, try out times. That creates a cool atmosphere and is also good for controlling... .

Best
    Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum