• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My First Strad and Grof Piece

Share/Bookmark

Cool My First Strad and Grof Piece

Hello, I just got my Strad and Grof in last evening and I couldn't wait to start writing for them. This is actually based off of another piece i wrote a while ago, but i'm kind of starting all over with it. anyway, this is just the intro and hopefully i won't be too busy in the near future so i can throw in the whole orchestra and add to it. but thanks for listening

http://homepage.mac.com/keithjfuller/.Music/FGSI.mp3
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: My First Strad and Grof Piece

How exciting, Keith--for you to finally have these fantastic instruments, and for us to take a listen to your first piece with them. Beautiful clip you posted--I'm really looking forward to how it develops!

Randy
    (rbowser)

Wow, Keith! This piece is BEAUTIFUL! You have so much realism and expression in both the Cello and Violin and you just got this a night ago!?!?!??! I just received the Cello in the mail yesterday and purchased an expression pedal for my keyboard so I cannot wait to get cracking with this.

I look forward to hearing this as you continue to expand on it and flesh it out. I know you just put this together, but I wanted to make one tiny comment on the background strings. They are too robotic and I feel a bit too staccato for the style and feel of the piece (but this is just a personal preference, mind you). I know the piece is still early, but I wanted to bring it to your attention .

Thank you for sharing this wonderful piece with us.

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Randy and Mike - thanks for listening, i really do appreciate it. and to mike's comments - you will LOVE these things. they are soooo much fun to mess around with. i just got the expression pedal yesterday and its the first time i've ever used one. i'm still having trouble playing in real time and having to control the expression with your foot and vibrato with both hands, but thats why we have DAWs right. i also agree with your comments on the background tremelo strings. i was so busy learning the strad and grof that i just sort of left the background strings unedited, but i will definitely work on those near then end of the piece. thanks again for listening, and hopefully tonight i'll have a little more time to add on. i'll post the piece again when its completed.
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Very nice work, Keith.

This arrangement certainly makes the Strad, and Gofriller shine!

Very expressive.. and the subtle portamento usage was done extremely well.

A great job on this!

`Jeff

Keith,

Isn't it wonderful to hear music you wrote a while ago performed like THAT??

Wonderfully done! The soaring notes of the Strad were perfectly fitted for the Gofriller's melody.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

That is really beautiful.. bravo! You evidently have an "innate" sense of how to use the Strad and Gofriller.
    I don't quite agree with the comments about the background strings (not even your own comments about them! ). It is, for me, precisely the "robotic" and detatched use of them that makes the piece "pulse along".
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Hi,

I really enjoyed the piece. I liked the melody. I also liked the portamento. I can't wait until I can get the cello and the strad, but currently I don't have the money...

A very nice piece.

Richard

jeff and richard- thanks for listening. i'm glad everyone is noticing the portamento. i went over pretty much every note to decide whether or not i wanted to have it slide, and if so how much? i think i overdid it a little, but thats kind of the point. i just wanted an over the top romantic feel. also, richard - i got mine on compumusic.com and each library was only 160 i think, which is still a lot, but NOTHING for what it is. compare these libraries to Vienna "Give me your entire life savings" Symphonic Libraries and not only is the price 1/4 of theirs, but some of them sound twice as good.

jerry - long time no talk. i remember we had that midi controller dilema, and thank goodness we figured it out, cause otherwise i wouldn't have been able to do half of my fine tuning. thanks for the help and listening. and yes, it is awesome to hear your stuff played on these. i'm still getting goosebumps because it sounds so real at times.

vic - i should point out that i did some editing to the tremelo strings after it was brought to my attention. i lowered the volume, humanized them, went over them with the mod wheel, then changed the reverb (i gave them a good amount more than all the other instruments), so what you heard was actually an updated version. but either way, thanks for listening and reassuring me on the background. i have a tough time doing the string sections, so if you have any tips on mixing or anything like that please share them, i'm always opening to learning new tricks.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Thumbs up Re: My First Strad and Grof Piece

Beautiful work with the Strad and Grofriler, Keith. I'm in the same boat as Sharkbat, can't buy them yet, but this piece sure makes you look forward to getting your hands on them.

David

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast