• Register
  • Help

Topic: Message from a newbie

Share/Bookmark

Message from a newbie

Hi everyone, i have been listening to the great demos on the garritan website that people have composed. I have recently bought a copy of Sibelius 4 (which was not cheap) but the sounds on that don't even compare with the sounds i have heard on garritons demo page. My question is this, how do i write a piece which matches the same quality of the ones i have been listening to. If i buy a copy of the garritons orchestral sounds would i be able to play these on sibelius and get the same sound as the garriton demos?

Your kind assistance would be most welcome, as you can imagine, i am very new to computer composing.

Re: Message from a newbie

Dear Darrenuk

Sibelius is a good start, but you probably need a sequencer and some reasonable samples to produce great results
    what came first - the forum or the sarcasm?
    www.mmmusic.dk

Darrenuk,

the first two keys for making it sound well are

1. Use of dynamics. Let almost every note be part of a hairpin.
    2. Some reverb.

You will be amazed about the difference these two make already.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

I see no-one's actually answered the last question of the original post:

"If i buy a copy of the garritons orchestral sounds would i be able to play these on sibelius and get the same sound as the garriton demos?"

I'd be very interested in an answer to this myself!

I'm pretty sure that the GPO will work with Sibelius.

I don't know about Garritan's other libraries. The Sibelius site shows Sibelius 5 working with Kontakt 2.

http://www.sibelius.com/products/sib.../playback.html

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy
    I see no-one's actually answered the last question of the original post:

"If i buy a copy of the garritons orchestral sounds would i be able to play these on sibelius and get the same sound as the garriton demos?"

I'd be very interested in an answer to this myself!
    How demos sound are more in the hands of a user than the sounds. It could be yes and could be no.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to replicate these songs as well in Sibelius. Don't get me wrong, I use Sibelius for printing and I highly recommend it. But you wont be able to get full dynamics and human expression as you would using a sequencer.

Definitely use a sequencer, because making songs that sound like th GPO demos, there is technique involved withing your sequencer. For instance, slightly overlapping your strings for legato, humanizing, slight eq differences, and stereo panning all contribute to make it sound like a real orchestra playing.

I recommend reading The guide to Midi Orchestration

It is an awesome book to develop this technique

Go Back to forum