• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Orchestral Percussion Libs.

Share/Bookmark

Orchestral Percussion Libs.

Hi,

I'm wondering if you'll share your preferences for Orchestral Percussion libraries and samples?

I'm occasionally running into a situation where the instrument is either too much in your face or pretty much gone with EW Gold's Percussion and I suspect it's because the transitions between layers are so drastic.

What are you using? Why do you love it? ( or not )

I do have "Ultimate Orchestral Percussion" ( Donnie Christian's early project )
    and also KHEmerald ( the included percussion ) but haven't done much with either. They're both radically different in "character" from EW Gold Percussion so for me it's probably breaking an old habit or acquiring a new taste, so to speak.

Also, can anyone compare "UOP" to Donnie Christian's newer offering which is "London Orchestral Percussion"?
    Demos are here:
    http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detailDemos.html?320

Sounds like it might be the same lib. with a few more instruments?

Thanks,

Re: Orchestral Percussion Libs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    much in your face or pretty much gone with EW Gold's Percussion and I suspect it's because the transitions between layers are so drastic.
    This is a problem often.

I have EWQL Plat XP and Sam Strike 1 and 2.

They are both good for different things, but I really notice in Strike a huge difference in the keyswitches, where EWQL is a little smoother.
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

I have EWQLSO platinum XP percussion. I think it's the best recorded sample library I have in my collection. I know that's not much of an index by which to gauge, but I think it is excellent. The samples blend wonderfully and the various mic positions enable you make a lot of different mixes.

I prefer the close mic samples and work with them a lot. I especially like the detail and velocity levels of the tom toms (a small program) in the c mic setting. If you have this library, try playing with the tom toms very softly with the volume turned up. You'll hear a lot of detail in the drums even in the soft hits.

The downside is that the library is relatively small, even with the XP addition. And I think you have to get the entire library to get any of the XP stuff. Bummer!

The percussion volume was the first one I purchased and then I bought one volume at a time subsequently (probably wasting a ot of money). I think it is the best sounding volume in the EWQLSO library.

You can check out some of the percussion tracks I did with the library if you're interested:

Samba Variations

Entropy

Marko

Hi Steve,
    I use London Orchetral Percussion. I would rate it as OK for me. I don't like the bass drum, the tympani or the cymbal choices. They are useable but not inspirational. The concert toms are weak. The triangle is very soft and dull and tambourines barely hearable. I do not have the advanced skill level you have, so I am thinking you may want to do some close listening to it to see if it fills your needs.

Maybe you will post your choice when you've decided.

As a side bar, I asked Larry Seyer what he used for tympani. He wasn't sure, but I think what he described was the Ulltimate Orchestral Percussion.

Best luck in finding the right one for you,
    tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the review.
    I loaded up UOP tympanis last night and tried to use them. They sound good, tight and well defined, but in a situation where I need the tuning to be accurate they weren't working ... so I went back to EW Gold Tymp.

I'm not in a big hurry. Just hoping to find some options for the future.

if you cant' get realistic results with Vsl VI or Gold XP then there is something wrong with your orchestration, the production in Gold XP is part of the arrangment and will mix it's self as you are using it.
    The percussion in Gold XP is Bad ~~~! Still for percussion awesomeness get True Strike 1 and 2
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat
    if you cant' get realistic results with Vsl VI or Gold XP then there is something wrong with your orchestration, the production in Gold XP is part of the arrangment and will mix it's self as you are using it.
    The percussion in Gold XP is Bad ~~~! Still for percussion awesomeness get True Strike 1 and 2
    I don't recall anyone using the term "realistic."

And it mixes itself? Wow.. I must have missed that automix button some where.

Anyway, I'm glad you're not having the same occasional blending problems because of the lack of velocity layers.

Assuming it's something orchestration related is missing the point.

To adjust the short term dynamics of ones performance/mix to accommodate a limitation in the instrument isn't acceptable to me.
    I can find work arounds or change the percussion part to adapt ... but never the other way around.
    It would just be easier with a more sensitive percussion lib.

The demos I have heard of the Truestrike libs sound really good.

On ProjectSAM's site they have a couple of freebies, including some sounds from Truestrike.
    Their other freebies are really good too, by the way.

Here is the link. You need to enter your email address first.
    http://www.projectsam.com/freesounds.html

Thanks Ben!

I use the free stuff from Westgate, EW Gold, and London Orch. Percussion. Usually use Timp, bass drums, and snares from EW. I use bells, mallets etc from London - and I often use the sus cymbs there too. And I use westgate for a great set of aux perc and the best belltree's/wind chimes I've found. The most expensive libraries don't have better wind chimes - shocking!

J-

Go Back to forum