• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Symphonic March

Share/Bookmark

Symphonic March

This is a march for full orchestra. The first section (in D) is confident and forward-moving at a brisk pace. Instead of writing a conventional trio for the middle section, which would usually be another march, I decided on a completely contrasting section in a minor key (b minor), comprising a slower, more intimate pastoral melody for oboe. The march then returns to round off the piece.
    Hope you enjoy!

http://indigo.ie/~edolan/Demo27.mp3

Re: Symphonic March

This is delightful, Lad.

Your key changes are masterful and the overall concept is spot on. A thoroughly enjoyable composition.

My only suggestion would be that your rapidly ascending flute runs could be done more smoothly (legato) instead of each note being attacked rather forcefully, but that's a minor point. If your sequencer allows it, try increasing the number of voices that the flute can use to five or six or if you have access to a piano roll view, increase the length of each note slightly in the flute runs so that each note "blends" with the next or try using CC 64.

Your restatement at the end ties everything together nicely.

You are a talented and creative composer. Thanks for posting this work.

My best,

Larry

P. S. An adaptation for high school and college marching bands might not be a bad idea. It's something to think about.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Many thanks for your response and comments Larry. Yes you are right about the runs - more legato would be more natural - I will take this suggestion on board.
    Thanks for the encouragement - much appreciated.
    Eugene

Absolutely brilliant!

This is thoroughly enjoyable! I hope more people listen to this piece - it deserves to be heard. Thank you for sharing this with us.

I like the bridge section where it slows down - it's a great change of pace and keeps the audience completely enthralled throughout.

- Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Thanks Michael for your appreciation and comments. I'm glad you liked the contrast in mood in the middle section - I think it made a nice change from the brisker outer sections.
    This march is part of a suite I hope to complete, with about 6 contrasting movements.

WOW what a march!!

A wonderful tune and an interesting middle section.
    Nice flute and oboe pieces there, and also the strings are used very well here.

P.S GREAT brass parts (Mainly The French Horns!)

An excellent march, Eugene, with some real meat in the
    writing... indeed, this goes far beyond what I'd generally
    consider a march, regardless of the elements thereof.

That center section (oboe) is superb!

One aspect of this I might suggest giving more attention
    is the use of dynamics, throughout; to my ear, this music
    is quite dramatic and expressive right in the writing of it,
    and asks for much more fluidity and scope in the dynamics.

Much enjoyed!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Very impressive, both structurally and in terms of skill and color in orchestration. Wish I had your compositional chops. And it's very pleasant, emotionally, to listen to. Nice and transparent (instruments easily distinguishable) recording, also.

That being said, you might consider increasing contrapuntal complexity in the march section by adding a countermelody at some point. Lots of composers do this, notably Tchaikowsky upon restatement of a theme in his ballets. You do do this with the quick fiddle figures towards the end of first section, before the cymbal crash, but that seems a bit tardy. In my mind's ear I hear a countertheme in long values -- it could even be a third one that would work along with the fiddles.

Hello Eugene,

This is a really excellent composition. The dynamics change at 1:10 is really nice - the way you build things back up coming out of that section is also nice. As others have mentioned, the middle section is the high point of the piece. At 4:10 another nice texture change with the strings and horns before going back into the main theme of the march. Very well done .

As far a the rendering, there are a few things you mght be able to fix that could get you a nicer sounding recording. First off, there is something wrong in your signal path - there is not enough high-end (treble) throughout the whole piece. There is also some distortion and noise that muddys things up in the louder parts. This could all be the fault of one single component in your signal path. What reverb are you using? Are you changing the EQ, panning or volume levels on the GPO instruments?

Let us know how you are making your recording and I think we can help improve the quality a couple of notches. After all, your music deserves it!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    Kenny

Thanks to all for posiitive response and helpful comments on the March. Glad to note that t he contrasting middle section has found favour with all -

David - I hope to do a bit of revision later, and will scrutinise the dynamic levels more as you suggest.

Doug - The quick fiddle notes you mention, towards the end of the first section, are in fact a variation of the march theme itself. There are other examples of counterpoint (e.g. the 5 bar cello melody at 0:29 ), and some instances where the counterpoint is at a less prominent level, but makes its effect nevertheless. I may add more if I get inspiration!

Kenny - I am checking on this

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast