• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Flute And Guitar Number Two"

Share/Bookmark

"Flute And Guitar Number Two"

This is my "Flute And Guitar Number Two".

The flute is GPO and the guitar is from Kontakt.

Regards,

Larry

Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Flute And Guitar Number Two"

Larry,

As you will recall, I was pretty critical of the guitar sound in your last flute-guitar piece. This is much improved - I could tell it was supposed to be a guitar! Is this from Kontakt 2? There is a guitar that comes with Kontakt, when you purchase Sibelius - but this one (yours) buzzes less, and is a much cleaner sound.

Nice piece - I think it could be longer, and perhaps developed more. Good accompanimental figures in the guitar part.

Hey, for once I didn't get on your case about the choice of instruments or use of libraries. Glad you've started to listen to me...

All the best,

Ron
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Light, airy and so elegant. Super fine, Larry.

And oh my that guitar Is great sounding. I hear you've made good use of the string squeaks too--hehe--nice.

Technical note/question--Your two soloists are performing So far apart. The guitarist is right up front, close to his mike, while the Flutist is standing at the back of the stage. It's a note/question, because it's clearly a deliberate choice, this, but I'm wondering why you wanted that effect? It would seem the two musicians would be together at the same plane on the stage, watching each other so they could lock in together--and that their sound would be equally reverberant.

I think the answer is simply that what would happen on stage wasn't your interest in this recording--that you wanted the flute at a distance, because--you liked it!--right? lol

I always enjoy your work, Larry, and this one has the most natural sound I've ever heard in recordings of your work. Beautiful performances!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Larry,

As you will recall, I was pretty critical of the guitar sound in your last flute-guitar piece. This is much improved - I could tell it was supposed to be a guitar! Is this from Kontakt 2? There is a guitar that comes with Kontakt, when you purchase Sibelius - but this one (yours) buzzes less, and is a much cleaner sound.

Nice piece - I think it could be longer, and perhaps developed more. Good accompanimental figures in the guitar part.

Hey, for once I didn't get on your case about the choice of instruments or use of libraries. Glad you've started to listen to me...

All the best,

Ron
    The guitar is one that is included with Kontakt 2.

I agree with you concerning the length. I am considering adding to it.

Oy, I always listen to you, Mr. Ron.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Technical note/question--Your two soloists are performing So far apart. The guitarist is right up front, close to his mike, while the Flutist is standing at the back of the stage. It's a note/question, because it's clearly a deliberate choice, this, but I'm wondering why you wanted that effect? It would seem the two musicians would be together at the same plane on the stage, watching each other so they could lock in together--and that their sound would be equally reverberant.
    The simple fact is that I did a pretty bad mixing job.

Thanks for listening, Brother Bowser.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

"...The simple fact is that I did a pretty bad mixing job..."

Hey now, I wouldn't say that. Let's say the effect was just different from what's expected, and that can be a good thing!

In mixing music, there are always two basic approaches--to simulate what would naturally occur on a performance stage, and the other is to throw reality out the window and create whatever we want, with no attempt to create that kind of illusion. WHo says a flute can't be farther back and in a different space from a guitar?

And so forth.

I'm in constant amazement with how prolific you are, Larry. If I have a handful of pieces recorded in a 6 month period, I feel I've been really knocking myself out!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    "...The simple fact is that I did a pretty bad mixing job..."

Hey now, I wouldn't say that. Let's say the effect was just different from what's expected, and that can be a good thing!

In mixing music, there are always two basic approaches--to simulate what would naturally occur on a performance stage, and the other is to throw reality out the window and create whatever we want, with no attempt to create that kind of illusion. WHo says a flute can't be farther back and in a different space from a guitar?

And so forth.

I'm in constant amazement with how prolific you are, Larry. If I have a handful of pieces recorded in a 6 month period, I feel I've been really knocking myself out!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    We can't necessarily equate quality with quantity.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    We can't necessarily equate quality with quantity. Larry
    That's a non-issue here. I've enjoyed most of your pieces, including the ones on your site. They are all quality compositions.

The acoustic spacing issue is an ongoing challenge: cut the reverb on the flute and lose some of the haunting charm; add to the reverb on the guitar and risk blurring those great melodic lines. A great deal depends on the room you envision them playing in, and how intimately they interact.

All of that notwithstanding, I really like the harmonic and melodic interplay you've created between these two instruments. A fine duet. (On a personal note: I'm "pianoed to death," and find your combination a refreshing relief.)

Thanks for sharing this one.

Joe

Wow, I could never use those Kontakt 2 guitars for anything good... how did you do it? I just can't write for guitar I suppose...

Wonderful work! The flute's melodic lines are quite catchy and mesmorizing. The guitars counterpoint is equally catchy and really provides a great backdrop of the flute's dance. A great pleasure to listen to!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

This is a fine one indeed, Larry. On a scale of one to ten, one being so-so and ten being outstanding, I would have to give this one twelve. It makes me glad I decided to venture into the listening room at the right time. Also, I think I'm going to have check out that Kontakt2 guitar, it sounds great.

David

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast