• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How To Tell A Lie

Share/Bookmark

How To Tell A Lie

Here is a sad piece I've been spending a little time on for a friend who thinks he's a great lyricist. I've substituted his words with a little piano.

If You'd Be Mine

Gerry Mac singing the song (UPDATED)
    this is the sung version no pop shield on the C1000s mic, emailed to me then convert from mp3 back to wav and lined up with the backing.
    Now with piano level adjusted, vocal level adjusted, generally tidied up.

Ray
    Last edited by rayzalaf; 04-16-2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Updated Vocal version levels adjusted etc.

Re: How To Tell A Lie

Very pretty, Ray. Elusive quality to it that was intriguing. I kept thinking I had a handle on the piece, but then I didn't, which is great. I liked the undulating rhythm with all the triplets.

One thing I thought of when I was more than half way into listening--It could work for some of the verses to be an octave lower, in either the piano or strings, or both. It sounds nice the way it is, I thought perhaps sections of the warmer sound the lower octave would bring could be worth an experiment.

"...a friend who thinks he's a great lyricist. I've substituted his words with a little piano..."

Um--are you Still friends--?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Ray,

the melody is strong! Can you send once the text in addition?

If I have first lyrics, then I compose as sensitively as possible to this words.

I have send you a song that I produced in the past per e-mail, because there was no Garritan Sound used, and we are here in the Listening Room from Gary for Gary`s libraries.

Best regards
    Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
    its recipients. The following addresses failed:

<ray@rayinstirling.net>

SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command:
    host ismtp.easyspace.everyone.net[216.200.145.38]:
    550 Recipient Rejected: Mailbox would exceed maximum allowed storage

Catchy tune, I especially like the morph from the intro to the... non-intro, or whatever one would call it. It sounds like at some parts near the beginning there's a faint sax in the background. It might be interesting to hear a bit more from him, perhaps even a solo?

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed listening.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Hi Ray -

This is gorgeous. The melody, rhythm and chords really drew me in. My only comment is I felt that the piano sounded like it was keyed into a notation/sequencer program and wasn't actually played. It was a bit too robotic at times.

Great use of drums - what drum kit did you use (what company?).

Thank you for sharing this. I am curious - if it's not too forward, might we view the lyrics to this piece?

Thanks.
    - Michael
    -----------------------------
    - Michael Fortunato

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

"...a friend who thinks he's a great lyricist. I've substituted his words with a little piano..."

Um--are you Still friends--?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy, thanks for your comments especially the quote.
    He isn't a forum member, He needs me 'cause I do all his live backing material. Now there's a contradiction! He can sing like Rod Stewart but he can't write lyrics like Rod Stewart and I tell him so. that's what friends are for!

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Hi Ray,

the melody is strong! Can you send once the text in addition?

If I have first lyrics, then I compose as sensitively as possible to this words.

I have send you a song that I produced in the past per e-mail, because there was no Garritan Sound used, and we are here in the Listening Room from Gary for Gary`s libraries.

Best regards
    Gunther
    Gunther, I'm surprised you think the melody is strong because I know it is the weakest thing about this piece and I will explain this shortly.
    I can't receive attachments with my ray@rayinstirling.net address.
    So that is why it wasn't delivered. I'll give you an email address to send it when I send you his vocal track along with key and tempo and let you play with it. No wonder Chris Norman still has a career in Germany. Only joking?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Catchy tune, I especially like the morph from the intro to the... non-intro, or whatever one would call it. It sounds like at some parts near the beginning there's a faint sax in the background. It might be interesting to hear a bit more from him, perhaps even a solo?

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed listening.
    Sean, thanks for dropping by and commenting on this piece.
    I was in a hurry yesterday, plus I'm off on business to Northern Ireland this coming week so I thought , I'll just post this thing and see what response it gets. I've broke my promise to myself already by posting such an unfinished bit of ballad. You're right about the sax, it is in there faintly and can be brought out a little along with a more pronounced crecendo into the chorus.
    It definitely needs a lot more work.
    Cheers

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Gunther, I'm surprised you think the melody is strong because I know it is the weakest thing about this piece and I will explain this shortly.
    I can't receive attachments with my ray@rayinstirling.net address.
    So that is why it wasn't delivered. I'll give you an email address to send it when I send you his vocal track along with key and tempo and let you play with it. No wonder Chris Norman still has a career in Germany. Only joking?

Ray
    Oops,

I think there was a translationmistake by me... .

I mean, there are strong feelings in the melody. And, the song I will send to you is another example for writing like this, which I have produced in the past.... .

Ray, excuse my wrong word choice. I am german and I must still learn it better to do.

Best
    Gunther

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast