• Register
  • Help

Topic: Import into Sibelius not correct

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Import into Sibelius not correct

Hi!
    I bought Sibelius G7 to be able to produce a written score of all my works. I have exported from various apps as .mid file type 1. I have even gone in and assigned each instrument as being GM, and then selected an appropriate patch, hoping Sibelius would "see" this and create the proper clef/staff/instrument type.

My problem is that piano (and those very few other instruments that have treble and bass clef as the "default" type of representation notationally) scores in .mid form are not importing as such. Instead, Sibelius imports the entire piano section as a single bass clef instrument. If I create a new Instrument, and select piano (thus creating the "connected treble and bass clefs for it), and then try to cut->paste the piano part, it will either paste only to one clef, or it will paste the same material to both clefs (two copies of everything!).

When I open a piano .mid file in Logic Pro, DP5, or Cubase 4, it is opened properly in the score editor.

I will call Sibelius on Monday, but I am so frustrated right now, I am hoping someone might save me from that call- please? Is G7 such a "scaled back" version of Sibelius that it simply will not import/open .mid files that well? I have tons of piano works, and if manual "correction" of things will be required, I am wondering if I made a (huge?) mistake in thinking Sibelius would do what I want. I am primarily a musician writing progressive rock..nothing near the expansive orchestrations I am sure many of you are dealing with...which is why I grabbed G7- figured it would have the guitar/bass/drum features I want, and the ability to simply import my keys, strings, synth, etc parts after exporting them as .mid from my DAW...plus adding in lyrics and giving the whole package a nice "pro look." Or something close to that at least- I know it wont work miracles

Any help appreciated!!!

(BTW- I tried to join the Sibelius community, and it asked for my serial number...which I provided. It then produced an error, stating my serial did not start with an "S." Since I bought G7, it starts with a "GCEO." Talk about feeling like the outcast..."Sorry Miss...you are forbidden to ask questions, as you lack the dedication and prominence of a REAL composer..now go buy Sibelius, and we will let you mingle with the rest of the crowd..." Then again, maybe I tried joing wrong or something...<sigh> And I thought Fri the 13th was supposed to be the bad day...)
    nikki

Re: Import into Sibelius not correct

Quote Originally Posted by nikki-k
    My problem is that piano (and those very few other instruments that have treble and bass clef as the "default" type of representation notationally) scores in .mid form are not importing as such. Instead, Sibelius imports the entire piano section as a single bass clef instrument. If I create a new Instrument, and select piano (thus creating the "connected treble and bass clefs for it), and then try to cut->paste the piano part, it will either paste only to one clef, or it will paste the same material to both clefs (two copies of everything!).
    When you open a MIDI file, you get a box with all the options in. Click on the Notation tab, and in the Keyboard section, there is an option where you select the "split point between two keyboard staves".

You can set this to automatic, or select a specific note (middle-C for example), at which the music will be split between RH and LH. - It's not perfect, you might have to make edits by hand, but it's better than all in bass clef.

At least, that's the way it works in 'proper' Sibelius, I'm not sure if it's the same in the version you have.

Go Back to forum