• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Summer Nights Second Part

Share/Bookmark

Summer Nights Second Part

Hi everyone

A little while ago I posted the first movement of my flute suite. I have just completed the second movement. I used only GPO instruments; flûte and piano. You can see the score (which is not completed yet) if you are interested.

The parts (I still work on the last two movements) all have descriptive subtitles, although the music is expressionistic and not programmatic.

I hope you will enjoy this movement, which is slow and short. Thanks for listening.

Movement II mp3

Score

PS: If you missed the first movement and want to listen you can find it here:

Movement I mp3

Score

Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Re: Summer Nights Second Part

Louis,

This is very nice. While impressionistic - a word we use, but can never define - it extends the harmony in a more assertive and forward fashion. I think it works well. My only criticsm is that maybe there is too much material here? All of it good, but perhaps use a little less, and develop it more? It's just an impression (no play on words intended), and I might change that opinion after a few more listens. But I want to emphasize that I like what I heard. It is also a departure from some of your other works - nice range of language.

Well done.

All the best.

Ron
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Wow! A power-packed, and quite superb, companion to
    the first movement, Louis!

I am so pleased to see you taking this forward, Louis (the
    first movement was likewise excellent). This is exceptional
    writing; thrilling, innovative, cogent, beautifully crafted...
    and an absolute pleasure to these old ears that hear so
    few voices who are both new and extraordinary.

My friend, unreservedly:

Bravo!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I did not previously hear the first movement so this whole thing was new to me.

Impressive. I really liked the first movement but I think I liked the second better, particularly on the first listening. Yet they did go together very well.

Thanks for posting the scores – I don’t always read them while listening, but for something like this it makes it easier for me to stay with the music and understand what I’m listening to, particularly the first time through.

I greatly enjoyed listening and am on my 3rd pass through them as I write this.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hello Louis,

I agree with the others here: A very gooood work you have done! And sooo realistic, whow!!!

Best regards to you!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi Louis,

I love the harmony in this piece! Very rich and complex.

Very nice recording as well. Good use of reverb and the piano and flute are well balanced.

I will have to go back and listen to the first movement now .

Cheers,
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Louis,

This is very nice. While impressionistic - a word we use, but can never define - it extends the harmony in a more assertive and forward fashion. I think it works well. My only criticsm is that maybe there is too much material here? All of it good, but perhaps use a little less, and develop it more? It's just an impression (no play on words intended), and I might change that opinion after a few more listens. But I want to emphasize that I like what I heard. It is also a departure from some of your other works - nice range of language.

Well done.

All the best.

Ron
    Thanks for the listen, Ron. You are right, I always afraid there's too little, and the listener will get bored. But I guess an overload of material has the same effect. The other two parts(still in rough) use melodic and harmonic material derrived from the first two parts in order to complete the arch form of the work, so very little "new" stuff will appear in the other two parts.

Thanks again for listening and commenting.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Wow! A power-packed, and quite superb, companion to
    the first movement, Louis!

I am so pleased to see you taking this forward, Louis (the
    first movement was likewise excellent). This is exceptional
    writing; thrilling, innovative, cogent, beautifully crafted...
    and an absolute pleasure to these old ears that hear so
    few voices who are both new and extraordinary.

My friend, unreservedly:

Bravo!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks for the comments David. You are always inspiring. I labour quite intensely on this work to the best of my abilities and I am simply thrilled when it is listened to and pleasing to the ears.

Thank you so much .
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    I did not previously hear the first movement so this whole thing was new to me.

Impressive. I really liked the first movement but I think I liked the second better, particularly on the first listening. Yet they did go together very well.

Thanks for posting the scores – I don’t always read them while listening, but for something like this it makes it easier for me to stay with the music and understand what I’m listening to, particularly the first time through.

I greatly enjoyed listening and am on my 3rd pass through them as I write this.
    Thank you for taking the time to listen to this work. I'm not very good at perfecting the scores, and I'm never sure if I should post them or not. So I'm pleased that you found them helpful in understanding the music. I admit the music is probably not easy listening or easy to understand without some attention. A score does help...

Thank you so much.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Hello Louis,

I agree with the others here: A very gooood work you have done! And sooo realistic, whow!!!

Best regards to you!

Gunther
    Vielen Dank, Gunther. I work only with Overture4 to render my pieces, and it is for me the best invention since the wheel. I have all the control I need over my GPO instruments that I need right there in the score, and it produces outstanding quality renderings. I cannot say enough about how wonderful it works for me.

Thank you again.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast