• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Nod Too Much

Share/Bookmark

Nod Too Much

Here is an mp3 of my first effort with the JABB library. This is a Big Band Arrangement: 4 trumpets, 4 trombones, 5 saxes (alto, 3 tenors and Baritone) Bass and Drums. It is 5 minutes long.

http://www.pianodocdm.com/Nod_Too_Much.mp3

This is a piece that I wrote in 1972 and was payed by my trio when I was Musician In Residence at N.C. State University. The Band arrangement was done the folowing year when I was the Head oif Jazz Studies at Northern State College in Aberdeen SD. I wrote this arrangement as a solo vehicle for the 3 tenor saxophonists who were in my improvisation class.

As this was written for a student band in the '70s the instrument ranges are conservative and the harmonies are not what I might write today. Still, I thought it would be a good exercise to begin learning JABB.

I wrote the drum part note for note and I am not a drummer.

I still don't feel good about my ability to balence, set eq and mix generally but I have followed Dan Kury's notes which have been helpful and hopefully will get there at some point in the future.

Thanks for listening. I am always appreciative of any comments or thoughts that you might have.

Thanks again for listening.

David Mauney

Re: Nod Too Much

That's some fine writing, David. It GROOVES! Excellent big-band sound. Thank you.

With admiration,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Heck of a strong piece, David; and well "performed" in this cut.
    I'd also say the rendering was more than respectable; quite
    good!

One thing I might suggest is giving this a listen on headphones.
    Some of the percussion, to me, was way, way, way left.

JABB really isn't my land, of course; so I'll let those more expert
    say more -- and leave it with...fine piece, David, much enjoyed!
    Listened through it several time.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi David,

This is very nice. The music is very enjoyable and you did a great job with the rendering and mix down. It might be conservative compared to some of the music out there (from around the same time period - I was always a fan of Don Ellis – not conservative) but it definitely doesn’t sound like 40’s big band.

I really enjoyed this. Great job.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thanks for listening. As always your comments mean a lot and are most helpful.

Larry: I appreciate your thought and the word "groove". Obviously that's one thng we strive for with this genre.

David: Your comments always mean much to me as I so admire your music and the success you have in rendering it with Finale. You must have some secrets there as my rendering through Finale often leaves a lot to be desired.

This piece was done with Finale and then finished in Sonar 6. I can never find a way to "place" the instruments in the stereo field accurately. Listening to this on a home stereo I am most aware of the need for better mixing and eq.

Trent: Thanks for your comments. I remember Don Ellis' music - certainly not conservative. My favorite, However, has to be the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis orchestra. Thad's saxophone section writing iwas just phenomenal.

Thanks again for listening.

David M.

Hi David,

Excellent first go with Jabb. I really loved the sax lines right after the introduction. You got a nice sound there. You also did a nice job on the horn swells throughout. It would have been nice to have a piano banging out chords with the bass behind the second sax solo.

First and foremost, this is a great composition and you did a good job of bringing it back to life with Jabb!

Cheers,
    Kenny

Kenny:

Thanks for the comment. I have to admit that it was fun going through this again and learning a little about JABB in the process.

Thanks for listening.

David Mauney

David,

Excellent groove and composition.
    only questions are, to do with recording e.g. the long armed drummer sitting behind his snare panned left and tapping his ride cymbal panned right. Also the dreaded flat tenor sax. I thought the solo sax was a bit quiet in the mix.
    Apart from these technicalities I very much enjoyed and look forward to more from you with JABB.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Ray:

Thanks so much for listening and for your comments. I am working on correcting some of the problems in the mix - expecially the drums. I will post the corrected file (assuming of course that I can sufficiently improve on the sound.

Thanks again for listening and for your helpful comments.

David Mauney

David,

This is very sweet - it swings, it's cool, and really captures the style well. What a nice rendering, too. I haven't delved into the JABB waters (not even the kiddie pool), but any more examples like this might change my mind!

Great job. Thanks for posting this.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast