• Register
  • Help

Topic: Comparison of sampled pianos versus VSTi pianos (Pianoteq and Truepianos)

Share/Bookmark

Comparison of sampled pianos versus VSTi pianos (Pianoteq and Truepianos)

I own quite a few nice sampled pianos (PMI Boesendorfer, Black Grand, White Grand, Yamaha C7 from Vintaudio, Virtual Grand from ArtVista) I just tried the new version (2.0) of the Pianoteq VSTi. It´s not bad but it sounds a bit thin overall (I only used the presets and did no tweaking). The nice side is the low cpu and RAM useage as well as nice resonance and pedal behaviour which needs a lot of cpu intensive scripting when using sample based pianos.
    What is your experience when comparing VSTi pianos and sample based pianos? How is the VSTi from truepianos (couldn´t try a demo because there is no Mac version yet)?
    Thanks for your input
    regards
    Raindog

Re: Comparison of sampled pianos versus VSTi pianos (Pianoteq and Truepianos)

I like True Pianos, and would have bought it except the buying experience is a little too difficult.

- won't accept users with google emails addresses
    - hidden VATadded right at the last moment of the check out process
    - 24 hour delay whilst credit cards are checked
    - and there was a problem with paypal too, though I can't remember the details now.

It was going to be just a spontaneous purchase ... but I gave up half way through the check-out.

But really nice, sound ... (except extreme low end), low CPU and memory footprint.

Maybe I'll try again in a couple of monthsa when I have some spare cash.
    Cheers
    www.naxosradio.com
    VSL Symphonic Cube, PLAY Gold, Project SAM, Altiverb, US2400, Cubase 4

I've tried almost all of them, and True Pianos is the best. It may not have the 7-10 velocity levels like the EWQL Bosendorder, but it is much more playable. The EWQL is not playable with thick textures. Same for The Grand and Ivory. Pianoteq is almost too realistic and is not bright enough for my tastes.

Actually I haven't tried the new Vienna Instruments Bosendorfer, that might be more playable. Obviously the sound quality is amazing. But I am more than happy with True Pianos.

Quote Originally Posted by nile455
    Pianoteq is almost too realistic and is not bright enough for my tastes.
    That is a true comment. but I like pianoteq, regardless the too much realism!

It just plays better as a piano, in my ears (cause I don't have a midi controler here... :S) I mean resonance, stuff, all those relative sounds, board etc, all are there!

As a comment to this thread I'd say that the more you have the better. That's why EW and Ivory are coming with 3-4 pianos.. To have a choice. All pianos out now (even some free ones) are great! But each one to their own uses... I just found out that it's difficult to use Ivory in some cases and I went back to the old Steinway from EW as found in the xp pro libraries. It's far from the best, but it works fine in some cases...

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas
    That is a true comment. but I like pianoteq, regardless the too much realism!

It just plays better as a piano, in my ears (cause I don't have a midi controler here... :S) I mean resonance, stuff, all those relative sounds, board etc, all are there!

As a comment to this thread I'd say that the more you have the better. That's why EW and Ivory are coming with 3-4 pianos.. To have a choice. All pianos out now (even some free ones) are great! But each one to their own uses... I just found out that it's difficult to use Ivory in some cases and I went back to the old Steinway from EW as found in the xp pro libraries. It's far from the best, but it works fine in some cases...
    I realize you probably consider The Grand more of a library than a VSTi, despite the VSTi interface, as it has a large sample base, but I just wanted to give an opinion on it. Overall, I found it a little disappointing, mainly because I have had much difficulty getting it to render properly when there is a lot of pedal use. (Note to users: try Rewire mode instead if VSTi is not working--that sometimes helps.)

These are the pianos I have tried, and every single one has been perfect for at least one project (IMHO) while useless for many others:

Bardstown Bosendorfer (My favorite)
    The Grand
    Gigapiano (convert to K2)
    Holy Grail (converted to K2)

Please note that so far, no one except me has like the piece I did with the Holy Grail (in terms of the sound, not the arrangement) I think it probably loses a lot in translation due to the fact that it has no down pedal samples but rather used a single "sustain resonace sample" that was overlaid with the up samples.

Also note that I like the Kornel Script with the Bosie...adds a subtle increase in realism, but I have also had a little trouble with it in rendering, especially when using 24/96 resolution.

If you go to http://crazyox.dmusic.com/ you can hear Prelude (Bardstown Bosendorfer), Flight of the Bumbleebee (Holy Grail), and Rondo (Bardstown). By the time you read this Als die alte Mutter (Gigapiano), Doumka (The Grand) and Consolation (The Grand) may be up also.

I heard one Pianoteq demo, and in my opinion, that particular demo sounded more like an elctric piano, and yet I really liked the sound.

I had some time yesterday which I spent trying the different piano options.
    I know now what one of the previous posters meant with Pianoteq`s virtual piano beiing "too perfect". It is a very nice piano but it lacks some character at least when you play it in a solo context (you won´t hear that in a mix). Character needs imperfection. I love Art Vista´s Virtual Grand and even the Malmsjö Piano because it is not perfect but sounds more natural and more like a real INSTRUMENT.
    What is much better with Pianoteq´s VSTi is cpu load and loading time. Big sample libraries need such a long loading time (although they use disk streaming) and cpu (especially when you use scripts to emulate resonance and repedalling behaviour). It was a poor joy to play the Pianoteq instrument because I had not a single dropout even with loads of sustained chords and low latencies.
    As I´m convinced that I will buy one of the 2 virtual pianos (Pianoteq or RealPiano)...has anyone compared them side by side and could give me a little review. RealPiano is not yet out for Mac but I would wait for it if it´s worthwhile.
    best regards
    Raindog

I have the True Pianos demo, and it is going to be a must-have. I actually like it better than Ivory...it has such a nice crisp sound and works really well in a mix. Also, I can set my sound card to lowest latency settings, and the playability factor is wonderful. It responds much like my P-250, and does not have the sluggish feel of many of the piano sample libraries I have.

One thing I had problems with, however, was that many of the presets seemed to have a certain amount of reverb or ambience, and there was no way to remove it. Is this a limitation of the demo? Seems to me that parameter would be essential for the user to control.

Here's a few mini reviews and random thoughts:

Bardstown Bose-still the best. Beautiful tone through the entire range of the keyboard. Almost always sounds great in a mix. Very versatile...sounds great for jazz as well as classical. Not a VSTi, but works well with Kontakt and GVI.

Vinaudio C7 - very accurate and playable. This and the Bards are the top two, and I would give up all the others before these two.

PianoTeq-Nice, but not quite there yet. Tweaking helps, but I'm not a tweaker.

True Pianos-see above- excellent!.

Ivory-sad to say, has been a disappointment for me. Lovely interface, some samples are outstanding but not consistantly outstanding.

Gigga Piano-bold and useful in some situations.

These are just the ones I have...would still like to get my hands on The Grand and Acoustik.

another thumbs up for Pianoteq.
    i love the way it reacts to playing and its always possible to make it sit in a mix thanks to its onboard parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Scheffler
    another thumbs up for Pianoteq.
    i love the way it reacts to playing and its always possible to make it sit in a mix thanks to its onboard parameters.
    And have you tried TruePiano in comparison?
    regards
    Raindog

I have tried a number of different pianos. Ivory, Grand2, Art Vista, Pianoteq, TruePianos, and others.

At this point Ivory is really my favorite, but I bought TruePianos and am not sorry. TruePianos is VERY VERY good, and way better than Pianoteq in terms of raw piano sound. Pianoteq has more ability to tweak the sound (usually to make sound LESS like a real piano, but so what).

TruePianos also is promising new piano models with new features. I was able to get it on a cross discount from Jamstix for only $129 and the purchase procedure was perfectly painless enough for me.

I haven't tried it in a mix, but I can already tell that it will blend well in a mix. Another thing I like that is that when you hit octaves in the bottom, hold them, hit different chords and notes above, with the sustain pedal down..its all very resonant and harmonious.

The best part is that takes a mere 50MB on my HD. Wow. It loads instantly into my host. Big thumbs up for TruePianos. That being said, I will be waiting to see the improvements they come out with. Its still possible that I will pickup Ivory eventually since I just love the way it plays also. Me personally, none of the pianos have really nailed the tone I like. Grand2 comes close, but the playability of Grand2 is not on the same level as Ivory or TruePianos.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum