• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Do you know this problem?

Share/Bookmark

Do you know this problem?

Hello G3 users,

I think I am finally down to the last thing that doesn't work on my computer, but I can't be sure, of course...

I've had Giga rigs since 2001 and loaded a few libraries in the interim. This weekend, as well as many months in the past, I can't get the old girl to load a Gsp. She doesn't remember any of the old Gsps either. On opening, I get instruments not only out of order, but on different Ports and many not at all. Have corrected the order, added in the missing, placed all back on the proper ports saved as, saved, exited and when I reopened - back to the messed up Gsp. Have started with new, loaded the Gsp. and --yup, get a messed up, fractional smattering of instruments in places I didn't put them.
    So- old, new, save as, whatever... no useable Gsps.

The only difference with the old ones was that I got to use them for a couple of weeks before they went fractional. This has been a problem since the machine was built, rebuilt and rebuilt.

Anyone solved this problem, or am I a pioneer?

tony

Re: Do you know this problem?

That's a bizarro problemo. Fortunately, I've never experienced that.

Clearly, something has been corrupted, making GSP items out of order. It could be...

Most likely
    * The installation disc is corrupted
    * The download is corrupted

Somewhat likely
    * The hard drive is corrupted
    * The memory is corrupted
    * The motherboard is corrupted
    * The CPU is corrupted

Less likely
    * A bug. (I've never read of this happening to anybody else.)

I don't think it's because of a conflict with other software either. It seems to write a file one way and read it back with things out of order / skipped / missing / corrupted.

Hmmm.

Have you tried a scandisc with the most stringent settings? You might have some bad sectors.

Years ago my wife had a computer that screwed up Netscape no matter how many times I re-installed the OS and all the apps. Over time it would get buggier and buggier, until it failed. I replaced parts in that PC as if it was George Washington's axe. In the end it was the RAM. For whatever reason, Netscape would always load something in the bad locations.

You might run Prime95 to test your RAM.

I hope this gives you some ideas where to start.

Best of luck!

Could you post your PC set-up; might give me a better idea where to look.

Which version of Giga do you have installed?

What o/s are you running.
    Make sure your bios, video and sound drivers are up to date; just a precaution; you know the BSOD! (IRQL NOT EQUAL; BAD POOL HEADER ETC)

Where are your samples stored?

Where are your gsp files stored?

Both of My DAWS have raid 0 arrays and now an again I have gsp errors.
    In the midi mixer pane and if you bring up the files pane you will see all the files that are available for loading; if you don't see an instrument in that pane and it was in the original gsp file; then you will more than likely get an "Uknown system error" cos Giga is trying to load that performance with that missing instrument.
    You might be able to load something else and stack the missing gig file and then delete the other; this works for me - sometimes.

My O/s is windows XP Pro Sp2. That supports raid arrays better than XP Home.

TASCAM recommend a raid 0 array; but I believe they don't support it, which is a bit weird - however... I have not yet discovered a definitive solution.
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

I have had this exact problem, and have posted aabout it at whatsitcalled
    dot com. I sent a diag to tascam who shortly issued an update (3.20 or 3.21) which was supposed to address this issue, but somehow fell short of the mark. If it is an application bug, they haven't found it, so it'd be worth your while to send a diagnostic. Maybe they can extrapolate better from two submissions.

Meantime, in my case, the gsp'd don't actually get corrupted: Often I can simply close gs without saving, and reload the file successfully. Try it several times and if that fails try rebooting and reloading. So in my case, gs seems to be writing the file just fine. Reading it is an intermittent problem.

This still happens after several installs of GS which doesn't really point to any specific problem. Jon's theories are all unscathed by these details, at least from my limited knowledge of h/w and s/w. I'm pretty sure my ram is ok, and gs has run from several hdd's now.

Interested in hearing if this info helps anyone hone in on the problem.

Belbin

Weird.

Can you save .gsi sets and reopen them with the same instruments you had originally put in them?

Which memory preset are you using? Or are you using a customized "tweak" that you entrered with Mattias' world-famous Memory Optimization app?

Are any of the instruments GS2 .gig files? I seem to recall haveing a tough time getting my QS database to recognize them... who knows what other weirdness they may cause...

Does this happen when GS3 is in stand-alone mode as well as if it is in ReWire mode or otherwise connected to a sequencer? I'm wondering what, if any, other hardware or software might be sending GS3 conflicting commands which might be causing your .gsp files to get loaded all screwy...

Hrm.....

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

I forgot to add that the Monitor File Activity ** should be checked when you are doing a lot of work in the GS3 workstation; otherwise your database will become corrupted and crash - BSOD - "Unknown system Errors"
    Once I have finished all the changes I uncheck it**
    Making changes and the doing the rebuild after each change should work; but how often do we remember, until the system crashes.
    GIGA ORCHESTRA 3.21
    DAW ONE: CPU: 3.4GHz; RAM: 2 GIGS DDR400; Mobo P4 GIGABYTE ;80GIG IDE HD;2 X WD SATA HD Raptors 10KRPM 74GIG in RAID 0;
    M Audio Firewire 410; Midisport 8X8

Hauptwerk V3
    DAW TWO: CPU: 2.4 GHz Dual Core; RAM 4 gigs DDR2533: MOBO Asrock ConRoeFirex - eSATA2; 2 x SATA 80 GIG, HDs; M Audio Delta 1010 and a Delta 1010LT, soundcards; MOTU Express 128 i/f

I have found the opposite...my system tends to be more stable with that option always off.

However, I hadn't considered the monitoring and its potential effects on success rate in loading gsi's.

When time permits, I'll try some a/b (monitoring on/off) comparisons of success rates in loading gsi's that have exhibted this behavior.

Good idea, OWJ.

Belbin

Thanks to all of you for for your interest. No Gsp file reloades now, no matter how long the computer is off or how many times I re-open it.. I deleted all the gsi files last week to get back to where it was loading correctly. That didn't work.
    I am going to take TASCAM at their word and give up the RAID configuration. Late today and tomorrow I will erase the two RAID drives and re- partition them to single sample drives, reload the libraries and see what happens next. Alex, the TASCAM service tech seemed to be confident that this would end the problem.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions made here from all of you, and the support that gives to keep on trying to solve this.

I'll be back with my results when I've givin it a road test try.
    best to all,
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Quote Originally Posted by belbin
    I'm pretty sure my ram is ok,
    Belbin
    If you'd like to be absolutely sure then run memtest for 5 passes.

www.memtest.org

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    If you'd like to be absolutely sure then run memtest for 5 passes.

www.memtest.org
    Thanks, Steve, but I ran Prime95 successfully for about 24hrs and my understanding is that it's a more fool proof that memtest...is this correct?

-Belbin

Go Back to forum