• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stylus RMX/Spectrasonics Questions

Share/Bookmark

Question Stylus RMX/Spectrasonics Questions

Hi
    Got a few questions centered around my preference for Stylus RMX.

1) Does Stylus totally "get along" with LIVE 6.0/Sampler? I am almost to the point where I am ready to pop for the combo and want to make certain before upgrading from 5.0 to 6.0 that they will continue to be best buds.

2) Forgive me here as I am VERY new to the whole world of VSTs and sequencing. I have been a hands on musician now for 30 years. I will say that thanks to programs like RMX & LIVE I am honestly more excited about the music I create than ever before. My question here is whether via the additional Spectrasonics sound libraries or a different program altogether like Addictive Drums would be best suited to composing and improvising heavy rock passages. For the most part I am very into my own brand of experimental improvisational creativity. There are times however that I enjoy heavy progressive beats that may or may not be loop oriented. When looking to accomplish the more angular progressive material, does one still shoot for doing things via sequenced loops or are these affairs better laid out in a more linear fashion? Would stylus work out OK for this type of application? If so, what of the various library discs would be best suited?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.
    M. C. Escher

Re: Stylus RMX/Spectrasonics Questions

2) Burning grooves is cool for doing those things... I am a guitarist, and working with this expansion is a whole lotta fun...

I can't answer your question on Live but if it supports VSTi's it should work.

RMX is excellent and with the expansion Libraries, it makes for a very powerful addition to any studio. I use it for developing film and presentation background tracks but I am also a guitarist and use BackBeat a lot as a default studio drummer; from Heavy progressive to Blues/Pop.

The ability to mash beats and the use of Multi's provides a lot of creativity

Thanks for the replies. I am surprised that one of the Spectrasonics crew didn't "step up" with respect to a solid endorsement of the new Ableton version of LIVE. After carefully viewing the Stylus tutorials which pertain specifically to version 5.0 of LIVE, I have discovered a few quirks, possibly due to me and not the software in the least, with respect to Stylus automation within LIVE 5.2.2 as will as midi learn and my M-Audio axiom controller. I just wanted to make certain there were no known glitches (bad ones that is) that occurred when using stylus with the newer version (LIVE 6.0).

I know of course it's easy for someone to think, "well, why don't you get on with the upgrade yourself and then we'll all know", but truth is, $400.00 is a LOT of money for an old broke geezer like me. Especially when there are an almost infinite number of other materials that I need/want to purchase currently. One of the TOP items being Atmosphere! Is there no mercy for the wicked? NO!! ;-)

Thanks Again,
    Jeff
    Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.
    M. C. Escher

So far, Live 6 seems to be fine with RMX

Quote Originally Posted by DrXparaMental
    I know of course it's easy for someone to think, "well, why don't you get on with the upgrade yourself and then we'll all know", but truth is, $400.00 is a LOT of money for an old broke geezer like me. Especially when there are an almost infinite number of other materials that I need/want to purchase currently. One of the TOP items being Atmosphere! Is there no mercy for the wicked? NO!! ;-)
    ...So it would be impolite to start talking about how great Trilogy and Backbeat/burning groove sounds together with a great guitar???

Hi. If you are a guitarist that wants to blow it out and fringe it up however you want. Go for Addictive drums. There is no comparing RMX to Addictive drums. RMX is a magical item I love it. BUT you will not find what you are looking for with RMX. That is if I undestand your question.Go for Addictive first then get RMX. And yes Live6 plays very well with both.If I understand your question,you want to move quickly and not be inhibited by limitations in the program you are using. If that is correct? RMX will slow you to a halt. You need to really be ready to spend lots of time with it. Just to get your head around it. And then you don't have a true freedom to do what you want. You can get close and at times spot on. BUT it is NOT designed to be or rather have the immediate flexiblity of a program such as AD.Download the AD demo. It is actually not a demo. It is a scaled down version that is fully functioning and has no time outs. In otherwords it is a FREE scaled down version.I'm not bad mouthing RMX.. I LOVE RMX.. But your needs seem to be in an "Other" area.Just a thought. JON

Quote Originally Posted by jonkuzma
    Hi. If you are a guitarist that wants to blow it out and fringe it up however you want. Go for Addictive drums. There is no comparing RMX to Addictive drums. RMX is a magical item I love it. BUT you will not find what you are looking for with RMX. That is if I undestand your question.Go for Addictive first then get RMX. And yes Live6 plays very well with both.If I understand your question,you want to move quickly and not be inhibited by limitations in the program you are using. If that is correct? RMX will slow you to a halt. You need to really be ready to spend lots of time with it. Just to get your head around it. And then you don't have a true freedom to do what you want. You can get close and at times spot on. BUT it is NOT designed to be or rather have the immediate flexiblity of a program such as AD.Download the AD demo. It is actually not a demo. It is a scaled down version that is fully functioning and has no time outs. In otherwords it is a FREE scaled down version.I'm not bad mouthing RMX.. I LOVE RMX.. But your needs seem to be in an "Other" area.Just a thought. JON

Priceless info Jon! Thanks! I think you understand my posted query "spot on". Stylus will always be a favorite and a primary tool on my bench, but I need some non groove percussion capabilities as well. I have ZERO doubt about the excellence of the other Spectrasonics software. How can I when associating them directly with with my product line introduction via Stylus RMX?
    Jeff
    M. C. Escher

Go Back to forum