• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sequencers...what is your opinion?

Share/Bookmark

Sequencers...what is your opinion?

I am in the market for a sequencer (I have had some exp. with Cubase) but I am just in this as an amateur and the fun of creating music (for better or worse) and I was wondering if you had any advice on good software that won't land you in the poorhouse. I like to do mainly orchestral work-ups.

thanks!

Smile Re: Sequencers...what is your opinion?

I vote for Sonar
    what came first - the forum or the sarcasm?
    www.mmmusic.dk

Re: Sequencers...what is your opinion?

I agree with Kadowser, but Sonar is not really that cheap.

Cakewalk do offer a much less expensive alternative in their "Sonar Home Studio", though. It operates essentially the same as full-blast Sonar, with some limitations, principally that you are allowed only 64 audio tracks. It also comes bundled with fewer (and lesser) softsynths and Fx. If you are not trying to run 65 audio tracks, it might be just the thing for you. Something to consider, at least.

All Cakewalk stuff is PC only, mind. If you are a Macster, you're back to square one right there.

Good luck,

Larry

I've been using Cubase CE for a difficult three years. I have yet to produce a finished song of my own. The software has been very difficult for me to master. I thought once I learned it things would get better. It didn't. I always felt the I missed some simple step of the learning process that would have made a big difference. The instruction manual was totaly inadiquate.
    • Loading songs often involved a lot of nconsistancies I could''t explain.
    • I was never able to load any VST's, even form Native Instruments.
    • New up dates would not load.
    • The after the first page of the score edit was passer the cursor losses track and the score become garbled. I thought if I bought another gig of RAM it would help. It didn't.
    • My midi keyboard checks out good.
    • And It has been loaded on two different computers.
    Recently, I tried a demo of Cakewalk Sonar 6. It tok no time to learn the software routine. My only gripe about that was the score editor page is onle one line rather than being laid out on a page. demoed other soft ware tve the Cakewalk was the most impressive.

Now that the demo has expired I find myself at a crossroad. Should I upgrade Cubase and hope it lives up to its impressive capibilities, afterall I invested enough time learning the thing. Or should dive into Sonor 6? Keep looking?

BTW, this is my first post to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by James H Trimm
    Now that the demo has expired I find myself at a crossroad. Should I upgrade Cubase and hope it lives up to its impressive capibilities, afterall I invested enough time learning the thing. Or should dive into Sonor 6? Keep looking?
    If money is an issue, you could start with buying Sonar Home Studio and later upgrade to Sonar 6 SE/PE, should you find Home Studio inadequate. You won't lose money on this approach. Approximately Sonar HS+Sonar SE/PE(upgrade) = Sonar SE/PE.

All of the software out today is capable of fantastic results. Sonar is perhaps easier to pick up than Cubase, but Cubase is still a fantasic package. I would suggest that whichever you go for, try and buget a little bit extra and book a short training session with a professional (2-3 hours is enough to get you through the basics).

Kev
    You can listen to my latest piece here -

I'll chime in for Sonar as well. Personally, I don't think the "extras" in the Producer Edition are worth it, so I went with Studio. I've been using Cakewalk since the DOS days, and have always been happy with them.

loyd

Thank you!

" Sonar Home Studio and later upgrade to Sonar 6 SE/PE"

That is probably the route I will take. Music is a journey and I don't need dead ends like Cubase. I'm sure others have done done quite well with it, but its not a good fit for me.

matolen, go with Cubase SX 3 if you can find it! It runs on the PC and the Mac. It's a very professional sequencer and it has lots of features that work. The score editor is like a stand alone score program. Stay away from Cubase 4 because it has too many bugs right now. If you can't find Cubase SX 3 and you need a PC sequencer, go with Sonar Studio or Home Studio. The Score page is not a extensive as Cubase's but it's a decent sequencer. If you need time stretching go with Sonar 6 Producer Edition or Studio.

Quote Originally Posted by ronboykin
    The score editor is like a stand alone score program. Stay away from Cubase 4 because it has too many bugs right now.
    I upgraded from Cubase 3 to 4 last year precisely because of the supposed improvements in the score editor. It's still far too rough and ready for really serious work, albeit much improved. Scoring aside, I've always had a marginal preference for Cubase, having known both Cakewalk/Sonar and Cubase for quite some time but for a budget buy, Home Studio might be better.

Go Back to forum