• Register
  • Help

Topic: GVI for Mac

Share/Bookmark

GVI for Mac

Look at this. It seems to work! GVI for Mac.

11.04.2007 TASCAM GVI / MAC Presentation

Musikmesse Frankfurt 2007: Jim Bailey demonstriert erstmals das Tascam GigaStudio PlugIn GVI auf einem Apple Notebook.

http://www.bestservice.de/actual.asp...5a91p64p151p32

Re: GVI for Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Bruckner
    Look at this. It seems to work! GVI for Mac.

11.04.2007 TASCAM GVI / MAC Presentation

Musikmesse Frankfurt 2007: Jim Bailey demonstriert erstmals das Tascam GigaStudio PlugIn GVI auf einem Apple Notebook.

http://www.bestservice.de/actual.asp...5a91p64p151p32
    I'm surprised there hasn't been more buzz about this!

Re: GVI for Mac

I can confirm. It does work. I saw it - and I heard it - at NAB Tuesday afternoon.

The good news is that Tascam has made a 100% commitment to release GVI on the Mac.

The not so good news is that there is no announced shipment date. It's clear that it's not "any day now". It's still being developed. In this case I wouldn't expect an announced date, until the product is ready to roll.

And what of the next generation of GigaStudio? I confirmed that there will be a 64-bit PC version, and that it will really kick ace in terms of RAM and the number of instruments that you can load. We can also assume that it will be written to make the very best of multi-core machines. (But that was obvious, wasn't it? EVERY software company that is looking forward is developing for 64-bits and multi-cores.)

And the features will be... Well, nobody's saying a word. This is competitive info, so they're hush-hush. I did see a bit of a grin though. It should be good.

And the release date... Again, I have no idea. I know that it's not just around the corner, but, like GVI for Mac, I don't expect a date until it's upon us.

The coolest thing from Tascam that really is shipping is the FireOne: http://tascam.com/Products/fireone.html It's a 2-in, 2-out "soundcard", with many cool features. It's got two mic pre-amps with phantom power, a guitar input, MIDI in and out, stereo monitor output, two headphone outs with volume controls, runs up to 96/24 (192 in a future update), is self powered by 6-pin Firewire.

What's really cool though is the weighted jog-wheel, transport control buttons, assignable controls (eight buttons, plus shift for up to 16 functions) and footswitch input. So, not only do you get a nice 2x2 audio interface, you get a basic control setup for editing.

The price is $300, which ain't bad considering that a basic 192/24 interface is around a couple hundred bucks. The extra cash gets you mic pre's and the control surface. My son is considering getting one.

Go Back to forum