• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Hymn #1 with Gofriller

Share/Bookmark

Hymn #1 with Gofriller

Dear All, here is the first file in a project I am working on. I have posted it for your (hopefully) enjoyment. There are some synchronization issues, but it is better than other ones I have done. I really love two instances of the cello together.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/...Do%20Dwell.mp3

Re: Hymn #1 with Gofriller

this was a cool piece. what i would recommend however is to add a little more expression to the cello to give it a more real sound. one thing that i think works incredible well is to add some slides every now and then where ever it seems like it would fit. i also would try starting your higher notes with a lower volume and increase the vibrato rate and intensity as the volume increases (not always, but it often times works). the harmony was nice also, like you said there are small syncing issues, but nothing too overwhelming. you should be able to fix this in whatever program you use (which one is it by the way?). either way, it was a cool piece and keep them coming.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Thanks for the comments - I actually record with something I programmed myself, and use MAGIX Midi Studio to render to audio. It has some issues, but I got it for free after a rebate, and I actually like some parts of the editing interface. I like your suggestion about the high notes, and it is something I am trying to do, but don't always get it done. I really love playing the instrument. Thanks again for your comments!

Hello, Yujade--Your rendition of "The Doxology" brought back very nice memories I have of the social gatherings at the Lutheran church I grew up in. We always sang this before breaking bread together at the pot-lucks held in the basement.

Keith gave you some excellent suggestions. Much more use of cc1 will bring the Cello to life even more. Ramps, mountain peaks, and valleys of cc1 data visible in a Piano Roll View you hopefully have in the software you're using.

That really is quite a lot of "synchronization" issue you have in this recording. Maybe you're not able to hear the playback of previous tracks as you add more? Right now it sounds like soloists who aren't playing in concert with each other.

Also, are you relying strictly on the MIDI files for your editing? Because making audio tracks of your MIDI work gives you a lot more editing power as you work on the final mix.

Have you investigated "Reaper?" It's what I would describe as a fairly sophisticated audio/MIDI program which is totally free and created by people dedicated to making it as good as possible.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Yujade--Your rendition of "The Doxology" brought back very nice memories I have of the social gatherings at the Lutheran church I grew up in. We always sang this before breaking bread together at the pot-lucks held in the basement.

Keith gave you some excellent suggestions. Much more use of cc1 will bring the Cello to life even more. Ramps, mountain peaks, and valleys of cc1 data visible in a Piano Roll View you hopefully have in the software you're using.

That really is quite a lot of "synchronization" issue you have in this recording. Maybe you're not able to hear the playback of previous tracks as you add more? Right now it sounds like soloists who aren't playing in concert with each other.

Also, are you relying strictly on the MIDI files for your editing? Because making audio tracks of your MIDI work gives you a lot more editing power as you work on the final mix.

Have you investigated "Reaper?" It's what I would describe as a fairly sophisticated audio/MIDI program which is totally free and created by people dedicated to making it as good as possible.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Dear Randy - thank you for your comments. I have been trying to get expression out, but not too much - I use a program I made for that. Looking at the curve data, I think there is a bug to fix. Hopefully I can get the range I want back, wherever it went. I have made more files that are more synchronized. I am more conscious of playing regularly and cutting each part off at the same count.

Actually, I looked at Reaper, but it is shareware now, and it didn't work with the Kontakt 2. But thanks for the suggestion!

Ah Yes - This sounds quite familiar! Nicely done! Along with all the other suggestions, try listening to a real cello as well as the Gofriller parts in this forum. Many of us are just beginning to tap the abilities of this great instrument.

Adding reverb (preferably convolution-a good sounding church for example) is always a must and sounds so much better taking some of the rough edges off the sound.

You say you like the instrument now-just wait until you master some more of the expression capabilities and you will never look back.

Thanks for posting!
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Hello again, Yujade

In reference to Reaper, you said:

"...it is shareware now, and it didn't work with the Kontakt 2..."

Reaper is fully operable from the download I did very recently. You can use it as long as you want without having to pay them.

I understand you have Kontackt 2, but there is a tremendous amount one can do with the built in Kontackt players that come with GPO and JABB. I haven't upgraded Kontact 2 and don't feel at all inspired to.

Can't you just use the default Kontact players without using the 2 version, so you Can use a more fully featured software like Reaper?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    this was a cool piece. what i would recommend however is to add a little more expression to the cello to give it a more real sound. one thing that i think works incredible well is to add some slides every now and then where ever it seems like it would fit. i also would try starting your higher notes with a lower volume and increase the vibrato rate and intensity as the volume increases (not always, but it often times works). the harmony was nice also, like you said there are small syncing issues, but nothing too overwhelming. you should be able to fix this in whatever program you use (which one is it by the way?). either way, it was a cool piece and keep them coming.
    Okay - I guess it's time I swallowed pride and just ask: how does one add slides to the cello and increase vibrato?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis
    Okay - I guess it's time I swallowed pride and just ask: how does one add slides to the cello and increase vibrato?
    Slides are done by playing legato (overlapping the notes) - the velocity of the note determines the degree of slide. Vibrato is controlled by the mod wheel (CC #1)(degree) and aftertouch (rate). Swallowing pride is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello again, Yujade

In reference to Reaper, you said:

"...it is shareware now, and it didn't work with the Kontakt 2..."

Reaper is fully operable from the download I did very recently. You can use it as long as you want without having to pay them.

I understand you have Kontackt 2, but there is a tremendous amount one can do with the built in Kontackt players that come with GPO and JABB. I haven't upgraded Kontact 2 and don't feel at all inspired to.

Can't you just use the default Kontact players without using the 2 version, so you Can use a more fully featured software like Reaper?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks for the reply! Actually, I have the K2 player that comes with the cello library, not the full version....I don't have GPO itself, but hopefully I will be able to get it when GPOA comes out in the future.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast