• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stuck in Spiccato land

Share/Bookmark

Question Stuck in Spiccato land

I have a MacBook Pro, running Finale 2007 and Garritan Strad Violin. I am not playing the Strad, but using Finale to play it with Kontakt 2 (version 2.2.1.010)

I can't seem to get normal legato playing. I get the spiccato attack with an incredibly soft sustain. All notes (after the first) connected under a slur have only the soft sustain, without the attack.

I can get pizz by inserting Bb1, so the KSs are working. I tried C1 and I get the spiccato attack as described before.

I get the same result by 'playing' the keyboard in Kontakt with my mouse.

I have gone round and round on this before bothering everyone but i can't seem to make it work. Everything plays fine using Finale GPO with Kontakt Player 2. But i want the Strad.

I tried deleting the program and reloading from the disc, but i got the same result.

Re: Stuck in Spiccato land

A very full explanation can be found in the thread "Pedal/expression problems from a novice" just below yours... :-)

Basically, you have to send MIDI CC #11 to the Strad to control the level and character of the instrument. If you don't, the result will be what you describe – you will only hear the softest level/character.

'Reading The Fine Manual' should help you get out of Spiccato land really fast.

HTH,

Joey

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire31
    A very full explanation can be found in the thread "Pedal/expression problems from a novice" just below yours... :-)

Basically, you have to send MIDI CC #11 to the Strad to control the level and character of the instrument. If you don't, the result will be what you describe – you will only hear the softest level/character.

'Reading The Fine Manual' should help you get out of Spiccato land really fast.

HTH,

Joey

THANKS!!!!

That did it. I knew it was something easy, i just couldn't find it. I read the manual, but obviously missed or didn't understand what was there.

Terry

www.vosbein.om

This is a variation of what's been asked before, but I can't seem to find the answer.

I'm writing this on behalf of a client that I do consulting for, and he's having a problem with Spicatto as well. I've scoured the manual with him, and it's perplexing because the KP2 always shows "Spicatto Attack" in the display, no matter what key switches are pressed (SHOULD it change?). The basic question seems to be; is spiccato the only attack available? He doesn't play the parts in live, only steps them in. So he's experimented with velocities of 1, and then CC11 "swells" on every single note. He knows about about legato (and it works) but insists that if there is ANY gap between notes, the attack of the note is too aggresive. And he is using C#1, Sordino, but that addresses the sustain, not the attack.

I simply can't find the time to test this further myself, but I said I would ask on his behalf. I sincerely hope I'm posing the question properly. Incidently, he's sequencing a Fritz Kreisler piece that is quite challenging!

Thanks,

Marcel

P.S. this is in Cubase SL3 on a Mac G4 BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel
    is spiccato the only attack available?
    No, F1 gives you a Downbow attack.

Since I got the Strad only a week ago, I'm also very new to it. I plan to use it only in notation Overture4.

But I have done quite a bit of experimenting with it trying to learn it before using it in my first music. The "spiccato thing" worried me too, but the attacks are easily controled with velocity and cc11, together. To get a really gentle attack one has to use very low velocity and low cc11. To get a really smooth legato, one has to overlap the notes ie. set the duration to at least 105% and follow with VERY high velocities. The HIGHER the velocities of the notes the more legato, until all notes are off.

I've watched the K2 player as the music played, and it seems to me for some reason the word "spiccato" is sometimes just displayed for no reason. Because when one uses the spiccato KS E1, one can cleary hear the difference between true spiccato and normal playing mode (KS C1) even with "spiccato" showing on the display.

Just my observations....
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum