• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rme fireface 400 or 800?

Share/Bookmark

Rme fireface 400 or 800?

hi...everybody is telling me that RME's fireface 800 is great...i don't have all that money can you please tell me if the 400 is a lot different ?? thanks

Re: Rme fireface 400 or 800?

I have the fireface 400 and I think for what it is made for it is excellent. Period.

But what I did not know before is that
    1. the firewire adds 64 (48?) latency samples. Always.
    2. The firewire port itself may be a data bottleneck, on a PC more than on a mac. Look here:
    http://www.rme-audio.com/english/tec...fw800alert.htm

If I was to rechoose I would probably take a RME PCI card or a multiface.

The strong point of the firefaces over the multiface is that you have excellent mic preamps though.

Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

HI,
    i would add to that,
    while firewire always introduces additional latency (about .5-.75ms)
    regardless of what system.(can be more depending on numerous things)

that we can run the RME units @ 32 buffer with the correct PC. ( and i dont meant 2 tracks but a real project)
    last time i checked no one complained of that low a latency!

Scott
    ADK

hi - I can tell you the FF 800 has been a great experience for me! these units sound great and are very well made.the total mix software makes these I/O's very deep and flexible,and tech support(SynthAx) is incredible(George is very nice helpful,and always points me in the right direction).The converters and clock on the 800 are very good as well.
    RME writes their own FW drivers so these units do not have the issues alot of companies are having using apple fw drivers.
    A very important rule you should adhere to on any FW I/O:you should always have any FW I/O on it's own FW bus,if you have FW drives add another FW bus via a pci card.
    I really don't know the FF400 but I am sure it is a very good unit.
    Before the FF ,i had the Motu 896(not HD) always sounded mediocre,when I switched ,I was blown away how much cleaner things sounded ,better imaging etc....not to mention easier on the CPU. I hope that answers some of your questions. KG
    2.7 G5(PPC) 6.5 gig ram,10.48. DP5.12 ,
    FF800, NI,EW,IK VI's ,synths.. etc... Vdrums, Akai Z8 ,XP30 , Focal Twin 6 monitors
    UAD1w/Magma,TC PoCo/pci,
    Shunyata Powercords/Conditioners,Richard Gray....numerous harddrives Firmtek box(esata),& 2nd fw buss

Quote Originally Posted by kgdrum
    hi - I can tell you the FF 800 has been a great experience for me! these units sound great and are very well made.the total mix software makes these I/O's very deep and flexible,and tech support(SynthAx) is incredible(George is very nice helpful,and always points me in the right direction).The converters and clock on the 800 are very good as well.
    RME writes their own FW drivers so these units do not have the issues alot of companies are having using apple fw drivers.
    A very important rule you should adhere to on any FW I/O:you should always have any FW I/O on it's own FW bus,if you have FW drives add another FW bus via a pci card.
    I really don't know the FF400 but I am sure it is a very good unit.
    Before the FF ,i had the Motu 896(not HD) always sounded mediocre,when I switched ,I was blown away how much cleaner things sounded ,better imaging etc....not to mention easier on the CPU. I hope that answers some of your questions. KG

A very important rule you should adhere to on any FW I/O:you should always have any FW I/O on it's own FW bus,if you have FW drives add another FW bus via a pci card

Thanks....so if i have an external hd FW ..i should buy a pci card?? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by aLfR3dd
    Thanks....so if i have an external hd FW ..i should buy a pci card?? Thanks!
    Absolutely. Have a look at the RME page, the do recommendations on cards.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

fw bottlenecks are what you want to avoid
    FF800, NI,EW,IK VI's ,synths.. etc... Vdrums, Akai Z8 ,XP30 , Focal Twin 6 monitors
    UAD1w/Magma,TC PoCo/pci,
    Shunyata Powercords/Conditioners,Richard Gray....numerous harddrives Firmtek box(esata),& 2nd fw buss

I've had the RME 800 for about two years and it's great. However after just over a year here I need to look for a new avatar.....

Barrie

I have a ff400 which I picked up mainly to use with my laptop and its great. I normally use a Tascam fw1884 with my desktop, but if I lug it out onto the road, I usually take the ff400 instead because its so small.

One difference between the 400 and 800 which may or may not be obvious is that the 400 is strictly 1394a at 400 mbps. I understand the ff800 can do that or go at twice the rate with 1394b if you have that interface on the PC side... my laptop has only 1394a built in, however.

Howard

actually RME says you will get the same peformance w regular fw ,(I was told if you use 1 ff use 1394a)they say the ff1394b port only works better w/ multiple FF I/O 's connected in a system
    KG
    UAD1w/Magma,TC PoCo/pci,

Go Back to forum