• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan general MIDI library

Share/Bookmark

Garritan general MIDI library

How exactly will this library work?
    Will it be like using GPO, but with general MIDI sounds?
    Will the two be compatible? ie: use sounds from both simultaneously?

I'm presuming that it will not work with KS like GPO and the others, but with simple patch changes like regular MIDI.

Any news on its availability?

I actually have some music that could use a few of the instruments/effects from a good GM sound bank that could be mixed with GPO.

Re: Garritan general MIDI library

i don't really have much to add other than i hope this thing is as awesome as the other libraries. i remember reading in a post that its been delayed for improvement - but who knows what that means. i'm just going to trust that it will be pretty awesome. i know a lot of people really like the basis behind the general MIDI sounds, but a really good version of them will be extremely useful to a lot of us (at least i know it will be to me). anyway, i'm in the same boat as you cowboy - just waiting on the news.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Because everyone needs to add the GM Helicopter sound to their compositions!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

actually, I've kept many friends entertained with the judicious use of seagulls and waves. and the screams have come in handy a couple of times.

but seriously, some of the "electronica" sounds were incorporated into some new age music I did a while back, and I'd love to rework those pieces using GPO some time, except I really need the synthy sounds as well.

Is there a problem? Using easily available freeware like Sfz you can assign some tracks to GPO and others to standard midi sound patches or other midi sound fonts within the same score. I do it often using the GPO organ with midi based choir voices.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    but seriously, some of the "electronica" sounds were incorporated into some new age music I did a while back, and I'd love to rework those pieces using GPO some time, except I really need the synthy sounds as well.
    Michel, you could buy the Kontakt 2 crossgrade instead. K2 comes with lots of synthy sounds (among others). And it works in Finale!

Really, the intent of GM is to provide a set of 128 sounds to compose with so that the same .mid file can be played anywhere and sound reasonably the same. These days they're typically found in cell phones and karaoke machines!

But what I tend to hear from people in the Garritan GM threads is that they mainly just want more sounds! However, as dermod mentioned, there's always the wonderful (and free) sfz sampler and plenty of SoundFonts to use, and plenty of free synths (check out KVR for a nice searchable database) that can create dynamic textures rather than being locked into static samples.

So I have to wonder: is this specifically because people want GPO-style control over those sounds? With modwheel-volume and legato-pedalling and all that?

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

or it could be that people like how GPO functions within Finale (or other notation programmes) and don't want/need new programmes for a few sounds.

If the GM sounds work alongside GPO, then it works for me for the few times I will need it.

GM sounds include a nylon string guitar, which is also nice.

Believe it or not, I need specific GM sounds like "Ice Rain", "Soundtrack", "Brightness", and "Echo Drops".

As long as I can't use GPO with something else from within Finale, it's not much use.

What I would want from a GM library:

I have a number of compositions which I wrote when I had no sample libraries and simply used the soundbanks from my synth. This is fine as far as synthy and electronica sounds are concerned. But I also used the orchestral instrument sounds that are a large part of the GM set. In these cases, particularly the strings, they of course sound terrible compared to sampled sounds like GPO.

It is my judgement that to really convert to GPO, I would have to reenter, that is play, all those parts again. I have put this off for several years and probably will not do it. So what I would really like is a magical GM set based on samples that I could simply substitute for my synth tracks and get some wonderful improvement in authenticity!

So far I have simply rationalised the whole thing by telling myself that the synth strings, etc., that I used are valid instruments in themselves and are not intended as simulations of acoustical instruments and should ot be judged as such. Problem is that many people who hear the music just don't buy it.

Ed

(Of course, any suggestions would be appreciated)

Quote Originally Posted by Edi
    So what I would really like is a magical GM set based on samples that I could simply substitute for my synth tracks and get some wonderful improvement in authenticity!
    I think that's the whole purpose of the Garritan GM Library.

Go Back to forum