• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Question About Altiverb?

Share/Bookmark

Question Question About Altiverb?

i have a question about Altiverb. it seems like its pretty much the industry standard as far as i've seen. the only problem is that it costs and arm and a leg - and frankly, i like my arms and my legs (i don't think that they are worth a good reverb). i use logic express, and i noticed that the pro version comes with Space Designer, which as far as i've read is similar to Altiverb (and it only costs an arm, so i can keep my legs). i've read on some other forums that Space Designer is actually better in some cases, but other say the opposite. One thing that they could all agree on, however, was that Altiverb eats your CPU usage up, whereas Space Designer doesn't. so if you've used either, or both (even better), can you throw me a little feedback, because i am thinking that it might be better for my money just to switch to Logic Pro because its half the cost, and i get tons of other features. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Keith
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Question About Altiverb?

Well, I disagree on the CPU useage. Ive been able to run about 15 instances of Altiverb, all with sound and long reverb tails on each, with NO problems. I think its more of a RAM issue than CPU. With only 1 gig of ram at the moment, and a 3.4 Ghz P4 (Though OC'd to 4.0 ghz), It was my ram that suffered performance wise before the CPU.

Quality wise, Ive found nothing better. The algorithms they use for stage placement for EVERY reverb they have, is TRULY amazing, and does a MUCH better job than stereo panning does. If you're after realism, this is top notch. Ive found that Impulse Reverb is far superior to generated reverb, and have totally made the switch.

Your arms and legs won't be missed.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

I have to agree with Sam. It was (gulp) a big investment, but I absolutely DIG Altiverb and have yet to hear about anything that comes close. I'd say grow another arm and leg and then bite the bullet. How's that for mixing metaphors?

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Hi Keith, I have not used Space Designer, but I can tell you this...
    if Space Designer is more efficient than Altiverb then it is NOT doing something that Altiverb is.

Altiverb is more efficient than any other Convolution Reverb available.
    The amount of CPU that a convolution plugin uses is determined by quite a number of things.

The Impulse response alone is the biggest determining factor.
    If Space Designer loads four instances of a reverb with 2 seconds of decay, while Altiverb loads four instances of reverb that uses 12 seconds of decay Altiverb will use more CPU. Makes sense.

I don't understand why so many people think that Altiverb is too expensive.
    Close to twenty five years ago I bought my first Lexicon 200 reverb and paid $4,800.00 for it. I still use it for live concerts and it is absolutely wonderful, but Altiverb kills it. I hate to admit that,.... but it does.

Altiverb has 99 IR's of a Lexicon 480L reverb in just one if it's IR sets.
    Is that alone not worth 500 bucks? YES!

I can't prove to you how good Altiverb is until you try it for yourself, but realize when you download the demo, you are only getting a small amount of the IR's that come with Altiverb.
    Does Space designer provide you with the software to create your own Impulse Responses, I doubt it.

I am not paid by Audio Ease, I wish I was, but I can only try to inform you that while there are a number of convolution reverbs available, I will put Altiverb up against any of them, any day of the week.
    Try it....

http://www.audioease.com/Pages/Altiverb/AltiverbDownload.html

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS
    Well, I disagree on the CPU useage. Ive been able to run about 15 instances of Altiverb, all with sound and long reverb tails on each, with NO problems. I think its more of a RAM issue than CPU. With only 1 gig of ram at the moment, and a 3.4 Ghz P4 (Though OC'd to 4.0 ghz), It was my ram that suffered performance wise before the CPU.
    i think what i read was from a while ago, and it looks like Altiverb's newer additions were much less RAM consuming. thanks for the input so far.

dan - i agree that in comparison it might not be that expensive, but the bottom line is that it still is expensive. i could get a sweet new yacht for $500,000, which might be a great deal - but its still a whole bunch of money. and i'd love to try the demo, but the mac version has been down everytime i've tried. thanks though.
    -Keith Fuller

---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Also, another thing I cannot stress enough, Altiverb is MADE for multiple instances. While it will give a "good" result, I do not recommend running a full mix into one instance of Altiverb. You'll find that you can place the instruments around the stage. Do this instead of panning. I usually have everything panned center, and just run it through Altiverb, and it does all the panning you need, if you set it up correctly, that is.

~Sam Ferrara~

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Does Space designer provide you with the software to create your own Impulse Responses, I doubt it.
    Dan
    Yes, you can record your own IRs and also design them using the interface (that's why it's called space designer). I think Space designer is far superior to Altiverb.

Comes with more than 1000 IRs.

http://www.apple.com/logicpro/reverbeffects.html

dbudde - are you saying it is superior because it has more settings, or because the quality is better? i'm not saying that i don't believe you, but its hard to belive that it is "far" superior. i haven't used either though, thats why i'm asking.

and also, are there any technical differences someone can explain to me (keep in mind i'm not good with technical stuff, so laymenize it please)?

thanks for all the comments so far guys.
    -Keith Fuller

---

Looking at the convolution algorithm alone they are equivalent. Convolution is a specific mathematical equation. It either does it or it doesn't. But Space designer has many methods of creating an IR. You can load a preset, or record your own or design one. Or you can alter an existing one with the design tools. This latter part is where Space designer shines.

dbudde, Altiverb does the same thing

Go Back to forum