• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The New Music Industry: Giving Away Your Music

Share/Bookmark

The New Music Industry: Giving Away Your Music

I ran across this blog where the writer advocates giving away music.

Here's some highlights from the article "The New Music Industry"
    It's no secret that the record industry is in trouble. They have moved from selling music as their main source of income to creating revenue through lawsuits against their customers.... Here are a few concepts every musician today should understand.

1. People will share your music with one another - Don't think of file sharing as stealing. Most people who download music for free don't think of themselves as thieves, they don't think of themselves as pirates, they just want to listen to your music. The whole goal in the music industry is to get as many people as possible to listen to your music. When people share music with one another, they are doing that musician a favor by increasing that bands listener base....

2. Music is not a product anymore, it is Content - When music was tied to the media it was played on, it was a product in the same way a dishwasher or vacuum cleaner is a product. You buy a vacuum because it is a product that cleans your floor. You used to buy a CD because it was a product that makes pleasing sounds.

Now we have separated the content from the product. You no longer need the CD to hear the pleasing sounds. With the music removed from the product, music only exists as content. The dilemma of how to make money off of making music becomes a lot easier to solve when you think of music as content and not as a product. Many different kinds of media have used content to make money. The best example is the television industry, which has used free, quality content to make money for years.

3. Be the provider of your own content - There are hundreds of torrent download sites making a fortune from providing free content. They advertise to the thousands of people who visit their sites. They get thousands of people to visit by providing free content. Content created by other people.

This is money that should be going directly into a musicians pocketbook. Musicians should be less angry that there are people hearing their songs for free and more angry that the web traffic is going to a torrent site instead of their own web site.

The best way to capture those advertising dollars is to directly compete by providing your own content for free. If someone has two options, sift through a sea of unscrupulous torrent sites for your new single, or download it directly from the artist for free, the customer will download the content from your web site every time.

Many musicians and record labels will cringe at the thought of giving away music for free, but it cannot be avoided. The Internet has made sharing the music you love easier than going to the store and purchasing it. The next step for bands is to make downloading their music even easier for the fans so they can control the content they create and make a dollar in the process.
    Maybe the author has a point. Take control of your own music and get it in the hands of as many people as possible and be the main provider of your own content.

Interesting perspective that flies in the face of the current system.

Re: The New Music Industry: Giving Away Your Music

I am in a band that is about to release its first CD.

www.funkydory.ca

Yes, we had the name before whatserface.

Our CD will ship with a dongle. End of story.

Belbin

p.s. I will contribute constructively when I've had a chance to think this over. Right now, I'm sort of flabbergasted.....

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    The whole goal in the music industry is to get as many people as possible to listen to your music.
    I don't think so... not when considering what is implied with the word "industry" Very interesting perspective. On the one hand, recording an album can be very expensive, especially if the album calls for an orchestra. Someone's gotta pay for it. On the other hand, I like free music.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

wow, he makes a good point.
    I work my ~~~ off to get a record company interested in pressing a CD of my music and then I basically give it away instead. It's just so logical. With my music floating around on the net for free, legally, officially, why, everyone is going to want to go out and buy the CD of my piece... and besides, who needs food and rent money.

That's all fine and dandy for pop groups that tour and make their real money that way. CD sales are only a fringe benefit.

For composers of concert music, CDs are probably the ONLY way to make money. That and commissions. And we all know how generous and supportive the universe is to classical musicians.

There's no doubt about this: we all need to rethink the paradigms under which we have been operating.

Whether or not the approach outlined in that article is a good one, to say nothing of the best, is open to discussion. There is no doubt in my mind that it makes sense, but the conclusions need to be "re-thunk."

P.S. If it needs a dongle, I don't want it even if it's free.

The conception of music as content analogous to television
    programming, and likewise supported by advertising, is an
    interesting one; and it may well have its merits.

Logistically, though, to me -- it would seem like a vastly
    different landscape. In television broadcasting, the number
    of content producers is relatively small, as is the cadre of
    supporting advertisers.

How would we expand this idea to include, potentially,
    tens of thousands of "musical content creators"? On what
    basis would advertising revenue be calculated and allocated
    and distributed to individual content creators?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Who needs record companies anymore?
    Granted, they have the "power" and the connections with marketing, which in turn makes more sales, but the musicians on the CD don't benefit a 10th as much as the record company.
    So, I say, record your own music, and sell the CDs at your concerts, and on your website you can make MP3's available as downloads with PayPal.
    If your music is great, word will travel.

I'm just thinking outloud. No real answers to this big problem really IMO.
    I do know that large label record companies rip off their artists so bad.... it's really so terribly greedy of them.

Look at the Three Stooges, they were all so poor. What a sad shame.

My people and my elders,,,, nevermind
    ramblin' deepeeDan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN

Who needs record companies anymore?
    Actually, I think you're right on point with that comment, Dan.
    At least in their traditional form, the record companies are very
    likely already dead -- they simply don't know it yet. The same
    can probably be said of the movie industry.

Oh, I'm not speaking literally, of course -- but... where will they
    be ten yeas from now in the face of changes and advances in
    both production and distribution methodologies?

The million dollar question -- well, actually, it's a multi-million
    dollar question -- is what new models of monetization and
    distribution can successfully and effectively replace them?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

i keep trying to give my music away, but people won't stop buying it. some people buy my same cd 30 times because they like it so much, so i don't know if this will work for me. life is hard went you're a quadruple-platinum, grammy-winning artist like myself, but i do what i can.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    i keep trying to give my music away, but people won't stop buying it. some people buy my same cd 30 times because they like it so much, so i don't know if this will work for me. life is hard went you're a quadruple-platinum, grammy-winning artist like myself, but i do what i can.
    Could you be persuaded to adopt an old codger in need of a good fireplace and a chair on the porch? I'd be glad to take as many of your golden platinum grammy-winning CDs as you'd be willing to sign!!!

Joe

Go Back to forum