• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Suggestions for Nearfield Monitors no more than $700 a pair...

Share/Bookmark

Suggestions for Nearfield Monitors no more than $700 a pair...

Hello everyone,

I have finally decided that I need to take my music mastering to the next level and get some decent near field monitors, I’ve been composing for over 15 years and have never used a true monitoring system, it’s sad I know. Understandably I know it is difficult to find something professional under a $1000 but I am hopeful that some of you have had success with sub $700 monitors.

Just so you know what I would be listening to, I compose film score orchestral pieces but then I can turn around and compose weird ambient electronic textures or even the occasional dance track. So my acoustical need for the monitors will be varied.

I have been eyeing the Event TR8 XL\'s which have 150 watt biamp design. 100 woofer 50 tweeter I believe. A step up from the regular TR8\'s but below the 20/20 bas...I have also looked at the extremely cheap with the Behringer Truths but am too scared that they will suck. I’ve considered going to the 20/20\'s. I just don\'t know. Should I just hold out and suffer with headphones until I can afford Mackies?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edward Trevino

Re: Suggestions for Nearfield Monitors no more than $700 a pair...

I was a Mackie freak for a long time. I still am actually, but I\'ve been forced to use these Tannoy 6.5\'s at work and they\'ve really grown on me. They\'re incredibly flat and when I burn a CD after mixing/mastering through them, there\'s usually very little to change after referencing them elsewhere. I think you can pick up a pair for under $400.00. They are passive though, if you care.

Don\'t rely only on headphones. Cans don\'t image properly. They won\'t tell you when your rights and lefts are out of phase.

Get some monitors that you can afford, and will hold their value. Sell them on ebay later, when you can afford the Mackies.

Thanks for the responses. I drove over to Guitar Center with a stack of CDs and tested out the TR8\'s, Mackie HR-824\'s and KRK V8\'s...

I didn\'t care for the TR8\'s at all. They just sound muddy and couldn\'t handle the lower frequencies well. And the stereo imaging just wasn\'t there. Of course I loved the Mackies, pure flat uncolored sweetness. The stereo imaging was also incredible. I was equally impressed with the KRK V8\'s. They were a bit shrill with the higher frequencies but nearly equal in image and tone.

I\'m sad though because I had my heart set on the TR8\'s. I think I am going to just buy an inexpensive pair of monitors for now, probably the Behringer Truths, found them for $319 a pair. I don\'t think I would gain much by paying twice as much for the Events. I\'ll save my money for the day I can buy the Mackie 824\'s.

Edward

Ernstinen,

I also really like my Senns. I got the HD-280 right after they came out. No regrets.

I\'ve got no problem hearing the bottom end on my monitors. I built my own: http://www.fairhurst.com/jon/speakers/index.html Extreme, but I like them :-)

Hi Edward, I don\'t know if its too late, but Pro Rec has a good review on Near Fields- http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/0B7FAE7ED3205D3C86256AE100044F41

Out of interest, he lists the KRK V8\'s as \"the biggest disappointment of the bunch\"

Regards, Scott.

Yeah, I read that review. Now that I think about it I think it was right about the KRK V8\'s. Mackie HR-824\'s are what I am saving up for. As for now, I will just get a pair of something to break free of the headphone constraints.

Edward

That article said the HR824\'s were $1600.00 but I\'m certain I saw \'em for $1400.00 somewhere. Hmmm, wish I could remember where. I wouldn\'t trust getting \'em used. Still a deal compared to the $2000+ for the Genelecs. Can I borrow like $400,000.00 from someone so I can get some gear?

Froggy, (or is that Mr Frog?) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] the article is from 2001 so I guess prices have dropped on most speakers.

Cheers, Scott.

you can find the mackie 824\'s for even cheaper than what was posted, the best I\'ve seen though is $600 ea, maybe cheaper if you buy the ones on demo.

Go Back to forum