• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Topic: Me and GPO... on YouTube!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member danbergam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bologna (Italy)
    Posts
    100

    Me and GPO... on YouTube!

    Hello everybody!
    I have an account on YouTube and... some of the videos I post actually contain music by me using that masterpiece and dream-come-true called Garritan Personal Orchestra!

    I'm a self taught composer (I just started studyin' the online course), a self taught guitarist... and a self taught mixer...
    So, I know I have to improve a lot, in each one of these aspects...

    Anyway, I'm quite satisfied with the tracks I wrote/produced.
    Here we go with the links!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxyK8N0_rdQ
    This is the Intro to my YT space.
    After I disappear there is a little movie based on my "official" theme!
    GPO + choir + drums + bass + guitar.
    Mixing is my biggest issue (IMO), I find it very hard to let every single part come out... I hope I'll improve.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLI3-HFJWwQ
    This is a piece dedicated to my first 20-25 subscribers... this one too unites the orchestra with modern rythms: this time is not rock but... techno, dance, something like this...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-OVJDYAo0U
    Ah, this one!
    It starts with a band march (thank you, Mr. Garritan for that preset!!! I love marches for bands!)... then it goes till the end with a *very personal* symphonic-only cover of "Another brick in the wall, Part 2" by Pink Floyd!

    - - -

    In effects I already wrote a good amount of pieces for orchestra...

    This one, for example, is the opening theme for the site (in italian, sorry) of a friend of mine: it's a *great* (and enormous and detailed) site, about sea and its many aspects.

    http://www.sullacrestadellonda.it/indice.html

    Just wait for the mp3 to load...

    Thank you for watching, commenting and...
    have mercy of me!

    Daniele
    (a satisfied and happy user of GPO)

  2. #2

    Re: Me and GPO... on YouTube!

    Hi Danielle,

    you are funny and very creative. I like it.
    Lots of copyright issues of course but at YT nobody cares anyway.

    Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

  3. #3

    Re: Me and GPO... on YouTube!

    Hi, Daniele-- I really had a good time at your YouTube page! The music sounds good, and in the video clip during your "theme," I especially appreciated the short bits from the classic movies "The Lost World" and "Modern Times." Great!

    You said:

    "...Mixing is my biggest issue (IMO), I find it very hard to let every single part come out... I hope I'll improve..."

    I think the vast majority of home studio musicians feel the same, Daniele, so don't feel alone! It's easy enough to do a mix when only a few tracks are involved, but once we start building these large orchestral pieces, it can be quite a juggling act--a big challenge.

    I do want to point out one thing that could help you out--To try to get a mix where "every single part comes out" is actually impossible, and contrary to the theory of mixing!

    By necessity, every moment of a recording involves some instruments/sounds being background to the instrument which should be in the spotlight for that moment. Maybe very soon after that moment, the instrument which was background/texture will move to the front, and the soloist will drop back. A mix is a constantly shifting thing.

    Textures develop where it's not important to distinguish what individual instruments are doing. Many sounds an orchestra is capable of are from the unique combination of instruments--Clarinets doubling Cellos, Xylophone doubling Flutes--those are common examples. The combined layers make a new, unique sound. If we're completely aware of the individual Clarinets playing with the Cellos, then actually we haven't achieved the texture we want.

    Mixes that don't work in pop music are where each musician is trying to constantly solo, rather than knowing that at times they should be playing backing material. A good mixing engineer will have to take the soloing rhythm guitar player Way down to minimize the way he's competing with the lead guitar which is supposed to have the spotlight.

    And so on.--Mixing is a matter of the focus of musical interest constantly shifting, and at any given time, hearing precisely what each individual instrument is playing is Not the goal.

    It Can be frustrating when you've come up with what you think is a spectacular line for a particular instrument, but then you discover that it would actually be inappropriate for that brilliant bit of orchestration to be prominent. Sometimes those French Horns need to be playing only whole notes, and as elementary as that is musically, it could be exactly the kind of "pad" needed rather than a virtuoso Horn line during a similarly spectacular lead Oboe line.

    Hope this gives you some ideas, and helps you think much less in terms of trying to get each part heard--that's counter-productive.

    One other thought--Hannes' note about using copyrighted works without permission was a good reminder--One is flirting with some danger when doing that--.

    Thanks again.
    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  4. #4
    Senior Member danbergam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bologna (Italy)
    Posts
    100

    Re: Me and GPO... on YouTube!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    Hi Danielle,

    you are funny and very creative. I like it.
    Lots of copyright issues of course but at YT nobody cares anyway.

    Hannes
    Thank you so much, Hannes!
    About the copyright, I'm searching/finding sources for freeware/common-rights music and pictures, asking and obtaining permissions to use them, when required.
    For the most recent videos ("What I received from Life (Version 2)" for example or "A better welcome") I used material as I wrote above, so I'd suppose I should not have problems.
    In the end, there are just a couple of videos (two of the oldest ones) which I could have issues with: but I'm going to replace them using the same new strategy... *thanks* for pointing out, by the way!

    Or do you think, for example, that also my Pink Floyd *cover* could give me copyright issues?!?!

    Thank you
    Daniele

  5. #5
    Senior Member danbergam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bologna (Italy)
    Posts
    100

    Re: Me and GPO... on YouTube!

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Daniele-- I really had a good time at your YouTube page! The music sounds good, and in the video clip during your "theme," I especially appreciated the short bits from the classic movies "The Lost World" and "Modern Times." Great!
    Thank you so much, Randy, both for the "good time"... and especially for that "the music sounds good"!!!!
    I try to do my best!
    Oh, I like those clips too... that montage has its meaning, indeed... from earth to sky, from body to soul... it's a long walk!

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    You said:

    "...Mixing is my biggest issue (IMO), I find it very hard to let every single part come out... I hope I'll improve..."

    I think the vast majority of home studio musicians feel the same, Daniele, so don't feel alone! It's easy enough to do a mix when only a few tracks are involved, but once we start building these large orchestral pieces, it can be quite a juggling act--a big challenge.

    I do want to point out one thing that could help you out--To try to get a mix where "every single part comes out" is actually impossible, and contrary to the theory of mixing!
    Well, this was... relieving!

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    By necessity, every moment of a recording involves some instruments/sounds being background ... the instrument which was background/texture will move to the front, and the soloist will drop back. A mix is a constantly shifting thing.

    Textures develop where it's not important to distinguish what individual instruments are doing. Many sounds an orchestra is capable of are from the unique combination of instruments--Clarinets doubling Cellos, Xylophone doubling Flutes--those are common examples. The combined layers make a new, unique sound. If we're completely aware of the individual Clarinets playing with the Cellos, then actually we haven't achieved the texture we want.
    I have so much to learn yet... and that wonderful course to dig in!
    Ah, me and my hurry to put my many ideas in music!
    A very clear explanation!

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Mixes that don't work in pop music are where each musician is trying to constantly solo,
    Hmm... isn't this happening also for certain prog metal bands too? ;-)
    (Just kidding: I listen to them, sometimes, despite the "let's solo all togheter" issue... )

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    rather than knowing that at times they should be playing backing material. A good mixing engineer will have to take the soloing rhythm guitar player Way down to minimize the way he's competing with the lead guitar which is supposed to have the spotlight.
    I repeat, you were very clear!

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    It Can be frustrating when you've come up with what you think is a spectacular line for a particular instrument,
    Oh, how you are right!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    but then you discover that it would actually be inappropriate for that brilliant bit of orchestration to be prominent. Sometimes those French Horns need to be playing only whole notes, and as elementary as that is musically, it could be exactly the kind of "pad" needed rather than a virtuoso Horn line during a similarly spectacular lead Oboe line.
    In the end... to write for an orchestra doesn't involve writing one thousand notes for each instrument.

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hope this gives you some ideas, and helps you think much less in terms of trying to get each part heard--that's counter-productive.
    This gives me *a lot of help*!!!

    Thank you, I really appreciate it!

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    One other thought--Hannes' note about using copyrighted works without permission was a good reminder--One is flirting with some danger when doing that--.

    Thanks again.
    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    I'm learning to use freeware/common rights sounds and pictures, to ask permissions when required... and I'm going to replace those videos (just a couple, in the end) that could give me that kind of issues...

    I ask you the same question I asked Hannes:
    when you talk about copyright issues... do you refer also to, let's say, my Pink Floyd's symphonic cover?!?
    No... right?

    Thank you again, Randy!
    Daniele

  6. #6

    Re: Me and GPO... on YouTube!

    Quote Originally Posted by danbergam
    Or do you think, for example, that also my Pink Floyd *cover* could give me copyright issues?!?!
    Err ... yes.
    I mean there are tons of pop song covers on YouTube but if somebody would want to be strict he would say that you are using a copyrighted melody of a composer that has not been 70 years dead yet. It is not forbidden but if done officially it would follow certain rules that differ from country to country.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

  7. #7

    Re: Me and GPO... on YouTube!

    Welcome to the forum, Daniele!

    Some interesting, innovative, creative video work!

    As for copyright, well -- yes, in theory, it could be
    a problem... not that anyone on YouTube seems to
    give it the slightest attention... lol.

    In some regards, you might consider these cases
    "fair use" in a recombinative work of artistic
    commentary, though the courts tend to be somewhat
    skeptical of such claims.

    In any event, if anything at all were to occur, most
    likely you'd get a Safe Harbor violation. If someone
    objected to the use of the copyrighted material, you
    would be asked to remove it; and would be legally
    obligated to do so.

    For more on the Safe Harbor provision of the
    Digital Millennium Copyright Act in the context
    of YouTube, see:

    http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/faq.cgi#QID125

    Best,


    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •