• Register
  • Help

Topic: ASCAP vs. BMI

Share/Bookmark

Question ASCAP vs. BMI

Has anyone here had direct experience with both ASCAP and BMI? I'm a member of BMI, but I've been lately wondering if I might be better served by ASCAP, as they seem to have more of a focus on classical and film music. I also am not completely happy with the level of interaction at BMI.

Anyone have any comments?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: ASCAP vs. BMI

ASCAP has me grinning right now. Not only did I get an ASCAPPlus award for $250, I got a cut of the concert/recital credit for a total of around $500. I guess I am a professional composer now. HA
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Well I'm still learnin'

I scored some things for cable reality tv. And when I submitted a few ques the music supervisor was like, 'I actually think BMI' is better.

I have been able to get a hold of poeple in the royalty department, but they're 'kinda' helpful.

If you search the threads there's some stuff that has come up about this before.

I totally LOVE the benefits of ASCAP interms of insurance, moving expeneses, and film scoring/video game seminars.
    Sincerely,

Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

I am a member of ASCAP. To be honest, I haven't really DONE much with them so I can't vouch much for their benefits.

But I did call once to ask a question about licensing and was connected directly to Frances Richard, the vice president of the Concert Music division. She was very friendly and helpful and spoke to me for about 30 minutes about the intricacies of my particular situation. She was patient with my questions and answered clearly. She later followed up with an email when she remembered something else.

I've called ASCAP a few other times and everyone I've talked to has been helpful and personable. From a customer service point of view I have been very pleased.

chris.

how do you join ASCAP? do you have to pay a bunch of money or write some sweet songs? i have no idea how it works.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by keithjfuller
    how do you join ASCAP? do you have to pay a bunch of money or write some sweet songs? i have no idea how it works.
    Well it's been almost over 10 years since I joined. But I think when I did it, it was just a matter of having something published? I think.

I had done a que for an instructional video that was sold. I think I paid a fee and got in.

The web site is pretty decent. check it out.
    Sincerely,

Jonathan
    www.hollandaudio.com

If I remember correctly, all you need to do is fill out an application, submit proof that you have had at least one original work performed in public (a concert program, for example), and pay a one-time "dues."

I'm not sure what the requirements are if you compose film music and don't have any public performances.

chris.

i think there is no fee. i don't recall paying anything to "join" BMI. They take their cut from licensing fees.

Broadcast, radio, or live performances count. If you are a film composer who has composed something for a film presented in the public, you can use that.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum