• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: I guess it is safe to post this

I guess it is safe to post this

Hi Folks,

Now that Turner Classic Movies has announced the top 20 finalists for its Young Film Composers Contest, (And I am not among them ) I think it is safe to share my submission. BTW - Congratulations to the finalists!

I'd console myself with "better luck next year" but this was my last opportunity to enter, as I will be TOO OLD next year (36). Oh well, it was a fun and challenging opportunity.

I chose the clip which had the least action, the most subtely of body language and emotion. It was a lot harder to score this than some of the other clips would have been, but I wanted to see if I could latch onto the emotions I PERCEIVED to be in this scene.

Here is the actual film clip with music -
    watch it with no volume first, and then watch it with the volume.

Here is the music alone - the mp3 clip is much better quality than the flash movie is.

Thanks to Dan Kury (DPDan), Stephanie (MovieMaestro) and Sam Ferrara (FireGS) for listening and giving feedback.

I composed it using Finale 2007 (lets you score to video - a VERY useful feature for this particular project ) Then exported it into DP and edited and mixed. Dan Kury added Altiverb to the final mix.

I'll add the score for anyone interested. I just need to spiffy things up on it.

All Garritan libraries here:

flute solo vib
    Oboe Modern 2
    Clarinet solo in Bb
    French Horn solo 1 in F
    Tenor Trombone Solo
    Chromatic Harp 2
    Solo Stradivari Violin
    Strings - mix of GOS, GPO section strings, Solo Stradivari, Solo Gofriller.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Re: I guess it is safe to post this

That was really nice - boy, I can't figure why that didn't make the top 20. It seemed very appropriate to the genre in that it was modern, but not too modern. The solo violin was a great touch, and the kind of thing that would have been done in a spot such as that. Sorry you didn't make it over the bar, but the contest did get some fine work from you, so all is not lost.

As you said, there won't be a "next time". So, here's to other new opportunities for you.

All the best.
    Ron Pearl

wow, that was honestly really good. i can't imagine what these top 20 are. the harp and solo violin worked incredibly well - they were subtle but extremely effective. i also liked the music when he said "even tired of love."

the entire piece had a sad/romantic feel to it, which is exactly what the scene clled for. even though this didn't win i would save tis clip to show to people if you are trying to get a job - i know i'd hire you if i was after a similar sound.

p.s. maybe they'll have a Not-So-Young Film Composers Contest that you can enter next year - you're sure to win that
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

That's some fine writing, Mr. Jer'.

I demand a recount!

Thanks for posting this.

Larry G. Alexander

Wow, there must have been some incredible entries. I loved this. It captured the spirit of silent movie stuff, without the cliches. Thanks for posting!

Very nicely done, Jerry. The violin touch was perfect. I really enjoyed listening and watching it with the video. Bravo!

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Great work, Jerry! On YouTube, many composers who did the same scene came up with a more ominous sound, but I much prefer the direction you went, with a much more sentimental sound. That solo violin sounds just perfect!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Jerry, my fiance and I watched and listened to your entry, and were very touched by it. Top notch composition executed meticulously. You should feel very happy with your accomplishment, because you went far beyond merely fulfilling the assignment.

How any kind of competition is judged is impossible to fathom, so it would be a waste of time trying to second-guess the judges. Maybe they're impressed with flashiness, maybe they're prejudiced towards a more "modern" sound--who knows.

An experience I had when I was in college comes to mind. I was a finalist in a nation wide College Theatre Festival acting competition. I represented the northwest region, and all of us regional finalists performed in Washington D.C. at the Kennedy Center. The student who took the prize did a very athletic performance, literally bouncing off the proscenium walls like an acrobat. It was highly entertaining to watch him, and the rest of us, doing much more sedate material could only shrug and think that we must've missed the boat to not work our scenes up as if they were circus acts.

Several of the judges told me afterwards that they voted for me, and struggled to win me the prize. There was no second place award, but I would have had it. That was consolation most people don't receive when they enter a contest, so I was grateful they told me.

Contests. Go figure. It's all rather arbitrarily decided and the outcome has practically nothing to do with the intrinsic value of the participants.

Good going, Jerry!

Randy B.

I am proud of you for submitting this in the competition.

Don't feel like it was a waste of time because it wasn't.
    Everything we do makes us a little better for the next project.

It is really a beautiful piece of music. Well done! Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast