• Register
  • Help

Topic: Want to Upgrade to Full Contact? - Beware!

Share/Bookmark

Want to Upgrade to Full Contact? - Beware!

Hi All:

I wanted to share my recent experience with attempting to upgrade to Kontakt 2 from the Garritan player.

In a nutshell:

1. Was was given the wrong information that I could buy an upgrade. It refused to register.

2. The reason, it turns out, was that I needed a crossgrade not an upgrade serial.

3. I called NI and asked if I could pay the difference and purchase a new serial. They said NO and told me I would have to purchase a new copy.

So - beware. If you want to upgrade from GPO or another Garritan product, purchase the crossgrade not the upgrade.

And as so many have written here, be aware that Native Instruments is not a company that appears to care much about supporting their customers. I thought I had found a product line that I could work with but I am really turned off to this company.

I cannot imagine any business reason that they would not let me correct the error by sending them the difference.

Instead of a happy customer they have an unhappy customer who is far less likely to purchase another NI product.

Charlie
    (day job)
    CEO, Cognetics Corporation

www.cognetics.com
    (night job)
    musician

Thumbs down Re: Want to Upgrade to Full Contact? - Beware!

That's inexcusable. Any reputable company would let you change over to the proper one. I had thought about getting the crossgrade but heard so many horror stories about NI and decided against it.

Re: Want to Upgrade to Full Contact? - Beware!

Possibly, if you contact Gary he might be able to 'go between' for you.

Obviously the retailer, you bought the upgrade from, made a mistake, since you shouldn't be able to buy an upgrade in the first place without an eligible program to upgrade from (Kontakt 1/1.5 or Komplete 2(SAE)).

I think you should contact the retailer and ask them to correct their mistake.

When I bought Digital Performer from a local music store, I bought the crossgrade because it was cheaper than buying DP as a first time purchaser.

MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn, makers of DP), has a program called "Audiodesk", it is similar to DP, but has no midi and very limited features,.... BUT, it comes free with every MOTU audio interface that they make, which I had already purchased.

My point is, I was able to purchase a crossgrade because MOTU allows "their own" cheaper program to be used as a crossgrade along with other brands of software. When I purchased the crossgrade, the store salesman did not ask me what I was going to use to send in to MOTU in order to get it registered properly, he did however inform me of the difference. It is not the store's responsibility, but they could not advertise a "sale" price for the crossgrade and insinuate that it is for a new customer without a program to crossgrade from.

I think NI made a poor decision in your case.

Dan

I went through a similar situation consisting of misinformation from Guitar Center and a don't care attitude NI As I recall it cost me $150 more than I should have paid. (thanks for reminding me) I have it now, and there are a lot of good produts that use the Kontakt format but I keep it in the back of my mind, especially with software,Buyer beware

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I am thinking it might be productive for me to write to the CEO of NI and suggest that there are some negative impressions about the company's treatment of customers. Perhaps if they start to see it as a business issue they will pay a bit more attention.

Charlie
    (day job)
    CEO, Cognetics Corporation

www.cognetics.com
    (night job)
    musician

Go Back to forum