• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample this

Share/Bookmark

Sample this

From the BBC

'Pipe organ' plays above the Sun

Immense coils of hot, electrified gas in the Sun's atmosphere behave like a musical instrument, scientists say. These "coronal loops" carry acoustic waves in much the same way that sound is carried through a pipe organ.
    Solar explosions called micro-flares generate sound booms which are then propagated along the coronal loops.
    "The effect is much like plucking a guitar string," Professor Robert von Fay-Siebenbuergen told BBC News at the National Astronomy Meeting in Preston.

More http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6574059.stm

Re: Sample this

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    From the BBC

'Pipe organ' plays above the Sun

Immense coils of hot, electrified gas in the Sun's atmosphere behave like a musical instrument, scientists say. These "coronal loops" carry acoustic waves in much the same way that sound is carried through a pipe organ.
    Solar explosions called micro-flares generate sound booms which are then propagated along the coronal loops.
    "The effect is much like plucking a guitar string," Professor Robert von Fay-Siebenbuergen told BBC News at the National Astronomy Meeting in Preston.

More http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6574059.stm
    A library of this would be good for playing hot jazz!!

It's just gas...

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    It's just gas...

O. K. I'll get back to this comment in a second. But first, a comment on the "Sun's atmosphere behave like a musical instrument". Am I right or am I wrong in understanding the properties of space that things can't be heard "out there" because of its vacuum??? Sound doesn't travel through a vacuum, I thought. But it would be mighty cool to somehow record or even "sample" the sound generated by the Sun's flares.

Now back to the comment "It's just gas. . . "

I tell my loving wife that all of the time. . . . .
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum