• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Free Choirs/Vocals

Share/Bookmark

Free Choirs/Vocals

Hi there,

Just wondering if you guys could help me with finding some cheap / free choir/vocal samples. I already have the Project Sam Brass/Percussion libraries as well as the K2 inbuilt library. I just need these choirs to complement what I already have.

Do you guys know of any free / cheapish choir/vocal samples that are available?

Cheers,
    Tom

Re: Free Choirs/Vocals

nope - you MIGHT be able to find the Peter Sizlecheck (sp?) choirs cheap somewhere, but it's doubtful.

EW choirs are good but cumbersome - I still use Symphony of Voices ALL the time for tons of stuff. It's certainly worth the $$ and has paid for itself many times.

J-

I´m in the same situation as you are, Tom. I plan maybe buying Symphony of Voices, which is known for its qualities. Maybe Garritan has something new (maybe not cheap?) up in his sleeves. If you have reason, there is a cheap miroslav choir refill, but you cant load it in K2 unfortunately, since it´s locked.

There are some free soundfonts, not as good quality, but you can check this out:

(Papelmedia ahh choir)

http://www.papelmedia.de/english/download2.htm

maybe find something useful here (sf2midi)

www.sf2midi.com

Have a nice day/evening/nite/morning,
    /Johnny

Tom,
    Here is a better sounding (previous and larger) version of the Papelmedia Choir soundfont, which was freely released a while ago; you will have to register to get the file (free).
    http://www.sf2midi.com/index.php?page=sdet&id=5963
    Additionally there is a female soloist soundfont on the Papelmedia demo page that is about the best free one you will find.
    http://www.papelmedia.de/sf2/sf2/Pap...na_Brochin.sf2
    Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cmdratz
    Tom,
    Here is a better sounding (previous and larger) version of the Papelmedia Choir soundfont, which was freely released a while ago; you will have to register to get the file (free).
    http://www.sf2midi.com/index.php?page=sdet&id=5963
    Yep, that is the one that I used for years when I was starting out. Really one of the best free sounds you can find.

On a side note, Papelmedia did NOT make this. I'm not really sure who did, but I am 99% sure it wasn't them considering they only resell stuff that was posted for free. Don't buy anything from them.
    "PRODUCER TO ARTIST: I don't care if that grace note on the snare hit in bar 9085 works! This is dub 'n bass acid house penis, not ~~~~ing house dub 'n acid bass penis with a twist!" - Nick Batzdorf

I haven't been able to download the soundfont and check it out yet (the download just stalls for me). But I have too been looking for some affordable choir library to be used as complement to the orchestra. This has got me playing around with the idea of doing a sample project on my own to be released freely (or for a small fee to finance the endevour). With so many other nice "small" libraries around this clearly is a niche that need to be filled.

Obviously a choir library might not be the best as first project (although I have previously done some hardware sampling/programing and production of speech synthesis). But just for the fun of it, what would such a library contain?

As constrains, I'm thinking a small to medium sized (whatever that is nowadays) multi format library that primarily can be distributed as downloads containing dynamic but to the point samples, usable as compliment to orchestral libraries.

Haven't looked into what would be required from a "entry level" choir lib, but I guess Aah-, Ooh- and Mmm-samples in different dynamics for soprano, alto, tenor and bass would cover the basic. To make it sound slightly less synthesized I guess note transition samples would be nice since phrases are sung "legato" (of course here you can go nuts with the number of samples). Crescendos and diminuendos would be nice too, but I guess that will probably stretch the required sessions a bit to far for a small library.

Any ideas?

(Hmm... I'm going to listen to The Planets tonight.)

Yes, the soundfont download also stalls for me. Any other places where it may be found?

Cheers,
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by James W.G. Smith
    Yep, that is the one that I used for years when I was starting out. Really one of the best free sounds you can find.

On a side note, Papelmedia did NOT make this. I'm not really sure who did, but I am 99% sure it wasn't them considering they only resell stuff that was posted for free. Don't buy anything from them.
    J. W. G. S.,
    This choir was one of the only things S. T. P. recorded himself. His girlfriend and a tenor friend are in the samples too. There was even a picture of him with the choir that sang the samples. You are right about the other instruments, though.

[Edit: For people who aren't able to download the file, make sure that 1) you have registered (free), 2) you only use your browser and not a download manager to get the file by clicking on the link when logged in (not saving it to file, just clicking on the link). The download works for me at about .3MBPS.]
    [Edit 2:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    Thanks for the link Chris!
    You're welcome.]

[Edits 3 & 4:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl
    If anyone can sucessfully download this .sf2 please let's see if we can find a way to put it at yousendit.com or somewhere[....]
    Sure. http://savefile.com/projects/808486296. I trimmed the release time(s) from almost one and a half seconds to about a quarter second, and I cut out the reverb sends so that the choir is more usable; add reverb to your track(s) for situations when you want it back.]
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thanks for the link Chris!

If anyone can sucessfully download this .sf2 please let's see if we can find a way to put it at yousendit.com or somewhere so others can get it,

Edit: or possibly just yousendit to me?

This downwload has failed for me repeatedly on fast DSL.

Edit:
    Thanks for the tips Chris. That's exactly how I'm doing it but it always stops at about 13 or 14 %.

Thanks

hi, the papel choir is good, better than some of the EW libs that are overrated.
    i've split it into three quite useful sections, and at least it's in tune.

the i. brochin soprano samples are also use-able.
    she's a little flat on some samples, but she's probably a good girlfriend.
    best, david r.

Go Back to forum