• Register
  • Help

Topic: First post. Hi, Everyone. First question...

Share/Bookmark

First post. Hi, Everyone. First question...

Hello to all.
    I am a new user on this forum (this is my first post)

I've been told this is a great forum, so I just registered.

I would like to ask a fairly simple question regarding Stylus RMX:

I use it together with Digital Performer. It works great, except for one little thing: there are only a few paramenters that may be automated from DP without a midi controller thing.
    Is that right, or am i missing something? For instance, I have been able to record automation for all the RMX mixer parameters, but I have not been able to do so with the envelope filters, etc.

I have a keyboard with only a Mod wheel and pitch bend. I can MIDI learn any parameter I want to the Mod wheel, but if I want to automate another of the hundresd of parameters, then what I had Midi-learnt previously, it will be ignored afterwards (after I assign another paramenter)

If this is definitely the case, would you please recommend a GREAT external midi controller? I don't want a keyboard with a few faders. I would like to have a fairly small unit with no keys, just tons of knobs and tons of faders, and that it works great with Stylus. Preferably one that displays the name of whatever parameter I'm using at the moment.

Actually, the one that Erick uses in the Video tutorials looks good, but I have no idea what brand it is.

What are you guys using for this purpose?
    Can you recommend something?

Anythings I should be aware of regarding this?

Thank you all for your help.

Cheers.

Re: First post. Hi, Everyone. First question...

If you don't want keys then check out Novations latest controllers as they have one that would do this perfectly for you.

Itis called the Remote SL

http://www.novationmusic.com/product...bArchive=False

I can't with DP as I am a Logic user...

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

i am using a Korg MicroKontrol but that one comes only with a keyboard attached.
    But its a rather small keyboard.......

Hans

Thank you Hans and SimonF for your suggestions.

I´ll google them to check them out.

Anymore suggestions?

Cheers.

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Thank you for your suggestion and the welcomming, GermanComponist. I'll check it out.

SimonF: that Novation controller looks GREAT!

I'll check GermanComponist suggestion as well. In the mean time, what do you guys think of the Mackie Controller?
    Has anyone here had a first hand experience with it? I'd be thinking of the Main Mackie board, plus a 8 fader section, plus the C4 component for the plugs, etc. It looks great, but I think it will be priced accordingly...

Here's a link to it:
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec0...kiecontrol.htm

Hmm... the novation is looking sweeter, especially because of my budget.
    I just wonder how hard/easy it is to program automapping functions and templaties, since it appears they dont' have that for Digital Performer yet.

Gracias!

Hello everyone

I am a complete newcomer to this forum as well as to sampling altogether. I have the Garritan PO, Cubase and Kontakt 2. However, I don't make much sense out of any of them yet. I have a Yamaha PSR 400 keyboard from a friend. I bought a midi cable today to hook the thing up to the PC. I want to do live performances as well as recordings.

The life performance would be on the street. It was suggested I use a laptop powered by a car battery and a power inverter (300W), run Kontakt from the laptop and handle everything from the keyboard. We have a seperate battery powered ampli but I will eventually invest into a proper AC car battery powered (with inverter) ampli.

My main problem at the moment is that none of the instruments do work in the Garritan player except the piano. I have fiddled around with the few settings available but to no avail. The libraries are certainly there but don't play. They do load into the player but only the piano plays. What am I missing? Any suggestions?

Gauranga

Quote Originally Posted by Gauranga
    Hello everyone

I am a complete newcomer to this forum as well as to sampling altogether. I have the Garritan PO, Cubase and Kontakt 2. However, I don't make much sense out of any of them yet. I have a Yamaha PSR 400 keyboard from a friend. I bought a midi cable today to hook the thing up to the PC. I want to do live performances as well as recordings.

The life performance would be on the street. It was suggested I use a laptop powered by a car battery and a power inverter (300W), run Kontakt from the laptop and handle everything from the keyboard. We have a seperate battery powered ampli but I will eventually invest into a proper AC car battery powered (with inverter) ampli.

My main problem at the moment is that none of the instruments do work in the Garritan player except the piano. I have fiddled around with the few settings available but to no avail. The libraries are certainly there but don't play. They do load into the player but only the piano plays. What am I missing? Any suggestions?

Gauranga
    Hello, welcome!

Hm, do you have changed the midichannels on your livekeyboard to them whish the other instruments use?

For example: Piano = channel 1, strings = channel 2 and so on...... .

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum