• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Strad User

Share/Bookmark

New Strad User

Hi everyone

I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to explain the concept of "aftertouch". I'm reading through the manual of the Strad, and I'm not following. Is there a CC number controller that I can use for it? I'm going to use the strad in Overture4 and I can understand to control all the other CC mentioned in the manual except aftertouch. How does it work? How important is it?

Thank you so much.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Re: New Strad User

Hi LouisD

Aftertouch is actually the amount of pressure or force you place on a key after the note is playing. Some keyboards do not have aftertouch but you can probably draw it in in your program

It is essential to use both mod wheel control AND aftertouch to completely control vibrato. Mod wheel controls the AMOUNT of vibrato (none to max) while aftertouch controls the RATE (slow-fast) of the vibrato.

Fred

Thanks for the reply, Fred. I understand. But is there a specific controller number for this function?

Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Sorry for the delayed response.
    First a disclaimer - I am NOT a midi expert

I do not believe there is any CC controller for aftertouch. In Sonar there is a separate event called aftertouch which can either be drawn in the controller pane of the piano roll or will accept and record the aftertouch information from the midi keyboard.

You might just try recording a single long note from the Strad via your keyboard while varying the pressure on the key. Then go into your sequencer and take a look at either the event list (Long list of every single midi message) or take a look wherever/however your controller information is located and see how it's recorded and if you can draw in the aftertouch message.

I'm sure someone else really has this information understood but I'm afraid this is about reaching my knowledge (lack of) limit on midi

Fred

Thanks again for your reply, Fred. I don't think my keyboard, (which is actually a Yamaha digital piano), has this function of aftertouch. But I'm not sure, I will check it out.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Quote Originally Posted by fred Holmes
    I do not believe there is any CC controller for aftertouch.
    That's right, but with the Garritan Solo Strings CC#67 does practically the same as Aftertouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    That's right, but with the Garritan Solo Strings CC#67 does practically the same as Aftertouch.
    Thanks Nickie. So increasing cc67 will add pressure to the note? And I can draw this into my pianoroll?
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Thanks Nickie. So increasing cc67 will add pressure to the note? And I can draw this into my pianoroll?
    CC#67 doesn't actually effect Aftertouch, they are more like parallel controls with practically the same effect. You can use both at the same time, if you like, in which case you get the combined effect of both (the sum). And you can draw both into a pianoroll editor.

Just to tidy up any slight misunderstanding, aftertouch (or more precisely, "channel" aftertouch), behaves just like any of the "other" controllers, but simply isn't one of the 128 (i.e. CC#0-#127) in the controllers list, but is a separate part of the MIDI protocol, and accessed as "aftertouch" if the Instrument or Host supports it (just the same as "Pitch Bend" behaves like one of the controllers, but is always shown separately as "Pitch Bend").
    Some sequencers, such as Cubase or Logic, can convert an incoming controller number into aftertouch.
    I don't know if Overture4 supports aftertouch.
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Overture4 has a Channel Pressure option under Midi Edit with which you can draw in aftertouch with a mouse while still looking at the score.

Go Back to forum