• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Suggestions: WESTGATE Clarinets and Bassoons

Share/Bookmark

Suggestions: WESTGATE Clarinets and Bassoons

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the Horns. Now that this library is out it's time for us to gear up for the production of our next libraries. We are now going to finish off the orchestral woodwinds with Clarinets and Bassoons. I thought I'd start this thread to see if anyone has any suggestions for features they'd like to see in these two libraries. The suggestions for Horns were very helpful. Time is a little short as we will begin recording in a couple weeks. Thanks in advance for your participation.

NEW INFO:
    Thanks for all your suggestions. Recording for solo Bb Clarinet has wrapped and the download for this instrument will be available soon followed shortly by solo Bassoon. If you haven't purchased from us before and would like to know when these are available just send us an email and you can be one of the first to download and start using these new instruments.
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

Re: Suggestions: WESTGATE Clarinets and Bassoons

It may be a minor point to most people, but I'd like to see the range of the clarinet include the low concert C sharp. Clarinets in A are often used in orchestral literature, but developers only sample clarinets in B flat, at least as far as I know.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I would love to see some extended techniques make it into your clarinet library. Stuff like multiphonics, slap tongue for the bass clarinet, harmonics, glissandos ala rhapsody in blue, etc. Subtones would also be cool for moody writing. Do you also plan on having some jazz/klezmer sounding clarinets as well? That would be great! What clarinets do you plan on sampling; Bb, A, or both? Do you also plan on Eb alto and Contrabass clarinets?

I dont know as much about Bassoon, but I'm sure there are some cool sounding extended techniques that would be neat to have. Contrabass bassoon also sounds great.

We are sampling Bb (solo and 2 player unison), Eb, Bass and hopefully Contra.

We want to get the jazz sound right. Other than vibrato long notes what sort of articulations would you want access to for efficiently creating this type of performance? Should we sample scoops and bends or just let that be "faked" with the pitch wheel? It'd be nice to have those samples, but how to use them?

We are planning on Multiphonics and glissandos but I'm not familiar with slap tongue or subtones. Could you describe those or post a musical example?
    Westgate Studios
    Sound Libraries for Gigastudio and Kontakt

Here is a great website I found going in detail all the instruments of an orchestra. Extremely well done and could prove a great resource for composer/developer alike. http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesou...the_orchestra/

Heres a direct link to their "effects" page for clarinet, which has a clip of subtones. http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesou...inets/effects/ I personally love the sound of subtones in the lower register (not displayed here). I guess its just ppp dynamic and not a special technique, but clarinet is one of those rare instruments that can play from ppp-fff, and it would be great if you could somehow capture all of that nuance, especially in the soft side.

The other page, extended techniques, has a clip of a guy explaining slap tongue, but no example! http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/thesou...ed_techniques/

Here is a clip of slap tongue on various instruments: clarinets are at the end. http://www.jayeaston.com/sound%20files/slaptongue.mp3

I hear it all the time in modern compositions in particular. When you hear the bass clarinet do it, you'll recognize the sound.

I'm not too familar with jazz clarinet, nor sample programing jazz performances, so I dont know what would be required (sorry). Perhaps you could look at other libs that do jazz saxophone and adapt techniques for the jazz clarinet?

Philharmonia drives me insane because they sometimes cut off the video right before the player actually plays the examples... illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Richter
    Philharmonia drives me insane because they always cut off the video right before the player actually plays the examples... illogical.
    LOL! looks like I spoke too soon above. You're 100% right!

- Many many round robin staccato samples

- grace notes stacs and sustains (a must for woodwinds)

- runs

Have fun!!!
    rothermusic.de

I second & third recording the clarinets in their full dynamic ranges.
    ppp or pp with/without vibrato is a must. As was said earlier, these instruments are so dynamic, it is a shame when the libraries don't give you all of it in their libraries.

ContraBass clari would be very, very welcome. Not too many libraries have it.

Both the bass claris should be done without vibrato as well.

Bassoon - Contra Bassoon as well!!

without vibrato as well!

The key is to remember that these instruments are always called upon to create low and soft effects, just as much as load and intense.

Good Luck - You've done great so far. Use your libraries all the time!

Mr. A.
    Nuendo 3/ Cubase 4.5 on XP sp2 QuadCore 2.66 Ghz VisionDaw Built DAW RME HDSP 96/52 into ProTools HD3 (digi192x6) on MacPro 3 Ghz... Farm PCs x (6) VisionDaw Machines PC Dual 2.66 Ghz w- Kontakt 3.5 w/ UAD Cards Midi Over Lan

No plans for an Oboe library planned?

S.

Also, slightly more relevant... especially for solo woodwinds... Is there any way to control the intensity of the vibrato with the legato samples? If a sample is sustained and every note has the exact same vibrato speed, it gets old pretty quickly... If you already provide a solution for this, or have mentioned plans to include one, I apologize for the oversight.
    Steven J. Kukla
    Kuklamusic.com

Go Back to forum