• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can I Use Giga Violin w/GS3?

Share/Bookmark

Can I Use Giga Violin w/GS3?

I am not familiar with GVIs, but I would really like to have GigaViolin. How hard is it to use a GVI in GS3? I saw a short mention on their site about using it with ReWire or something, which is something I have not done.

Thanks.

Ken

Re: Can I Use Giga Violin w/GS3?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Theriot
    I am not familiar with GVIs, but I would really like to have GigaViolin. How hard is it to use a GVI in GS3? I saw a short mention on their site about using it with ReWire or something, which is something I have not done.

Thanks.

Ken
    My understanding is that Giga Violin uses port linking for divisi (since the instrument can be used to create several different violins), which is only possible in GS3. Therefore it ships as both a GVI (not usable in GS3, but self sufficient with the exception of this feature-i.e.-no sampler required), and includes a GS3 compatible version of the instrument for creating divisi parts.

I haven't put a lot of thought into it, and can't quite see yet how one can control divisi/non divisi using linked ports (unless the individual presets have mutally exclusive killswitches, and are set up to work together as .gsp files, which are only compatible w/GS3), so take this bit of hearsay with a warning. I am certain, however, that it is GS3 compatible.

As far as rewire is concerned, it will only be needed if 1) you are going to use it in GS3, as opposed to the GVI (VST/RTAS) version; and 2) You do not have a GSIF compatible audio card, which will require a ReWire compatible host.

Best,
    Belbin

Thanks Belbin,

though if you don't have a GSIF compatible card, you can't run GS anyway.

Ken

Thanks Belbin,

Ken
    But giga's system requirement states:

"Either:
    GSIF compatible sound card or
    ReWire compatible host application.

thus, you can run GS w/o a GSIF card-you just need the rewire functionality.

-Belbin

Oh wow. I didn't know that. Thanks again!

Ken

Oh wow. I didn't know that. Thanks again!

Ken
    No prob. But be warned: (AFAIK) you only get one port (16 channels) when in rewire mode. I am using sonar 4, and this may well be a limitation of my sequencer and not of GS3- do your homework if this matters at all....

Belbin

Thanks Belbin,

Ken
    Actually you can. I'm running GS3 with my Emu 0404 card and FX-MAX. You dont need gsif compatible card if you use fx-max.

Go Back to forum