• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reverb differences between home audio and concert hall

Share/Bookmark

Question Reverb differences between home audio and concert hall

Hello,

I'm a new member, but I have read the forum and visited Garritan web pages for more than one year.

Although I haven't had a GPO, I have a generic question to ask for suggestion. I have arranged and sequenced a Mozart's piece (orchestral) which will be played in a large concert hall (3000 seats, designed for classical music) through the stereo PA sound system. However, I have doubted that the sound stage I heard through my home audio speakers will be much altered in that concert hall, due to the reverberant characteristics of the hall. Besides, I have no chance of a rehearsal in the actual hall at all.

So the question is - could anyone please suggest some broad guideline for adjusting the reverbs in order for a piece to properly fit the acoustic charateristics of the hall, presuming a gereric concert hall ? Well, the reverb parameters that I can control are reverb type (hall, room, stage, ... 20 of them), level of reverb sound (relative to the dry sound), and reverberation time.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Namui

Re: Reverb differences between home audio and concert hall

I'll let others more knowledgeable in this area answer
    that -- but may I offer a warm welcome to the forum
    Namui!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Namui, welcome!
    From Experience I would say, use no reverb by recording.

Best
    Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I've never tried it, but I would recommend adding a small amount of simple reverb - just enough to take the rough edges off of your sequenced samples, but not enough to add any room color.

Consider that real instruments don't have their own reverb, but they play smoothly, compared to samples. Try to apply enough reverb to make a smooth performance, but with a relatively dry sound (no early reflections, pre-delay or any other tricks.)

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I've never tried it, but I would recommend adding a small amount of simple reverb - just enough to take the rough edges off of your sequenced samples, but not enough to add any room color.

Consider that real instruments don't have their own reverb, but they play smoothly, compared to samples. Try to apply enough reverb to make a smooth performance, but with a relatively dry sound (no early reflections, pre-delay or any other tricks.)
    You mean not early reflections? I would add them, but only a little bit :-)

Best
    Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

If anything, I would ONLY have the early reflections. The long tail is what the hall itself will produce.
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Welcome to the forum,

The problem is like setting a digital delay for rear audienece speakers, it will be good for some, and worse for others.
    The analogy is that you can not decide how far away everyone will sit from the speakers.
    Use a hair less reverb than you would if you were putting this on a CD to sell.

If you don't,.... anyone sitting close to the speakers will hear very dry ugly sound.

Putting a reasonable amount of reverb on the recording is not going to mush it up, not necessarily any worse than what the hall will do to it.

My honest opinion.
    Hope to see you here more and please let us know how it goes.

Dan

Namui welcome to the forum,

I have to agree with Dan. I arrange and record orchestrations mostly for personal use on stage in many different sized venues from 60 seater to town hall. The amount of reverb I use while recording doesn't vary. Always erring on the dryer side though especially on bass.

Ray

www.rayinstirling.net

Thank you all for the very warm welcome and many useful suggestions. I'll defenitely try to contribute more to the forum.

Namui

In a recent performance of a piece I composed for recording and live piano I used no reverb, and was very happy I didn't. It would have been a muddy mess! haha
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum