• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Spirit North Concerto-Strad/GoFriller etc

Share/Bookmark

Spirit North Concerto-Strad/GoFriller etc

This is a piece based on a simple chordal structure I discovered one day. I must say that I really enjoyed working on this piece as it has a connection with where I used to live for several years (Baffin Island-Northern Canada).

Having more expressive instruments really helps. In a few places I used a sample of an old Miroslav solo violin (which has a warm built in natural vibrato which I like) as well the Strad/Gofriller (which are great) and other Garritan orchestral samples.

If you have any suggestions/comments on any aspect, it would be helpful.

Thanks for listening - Del

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652912
    Music happens to be an art form that transcends language. - Herbie Hancock

http://www.mdtcommunications.com

Re: Spirit North Concerto-Strad/GoFriller etc

Del

Nice piece, just the musicians seem all to be sitting on the same chair.
    The Violin and cello could do with being seperated in the stereo image to give them a little space to themselves. Both vibratos together just clashed a little. Other than that very nice work.

Ray

Gorgeous piece, Del--Very evocative. I appreciate you telling us about the connection this has for you to Baffin Island.

Ray made a helpful observation, about how having a wider stereo image would benefit the recording. It will sound even more striking.

Thanks for the music, Del!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Del, good writing on this -- real mood and color to it;
    especially with the somewhat more emphatic orchestration
    into the latter part.

Although the rendering sounds fairly good to me, I think
    Ray may have some good points (above). To my ear,
    the material and ensemble would seem to want a little
    more space and depth.

And yes, I wish I could figure out how to do that in
    some of my own material... lol.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

love the sound of cello and the expressiveness of this work. i live in vancouver and have never traveled up north, but with this music it is not hard to imagine the scenes and people of baffin island...

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf

Nice piece, just the musicians seem all to be sitting on the same chair.
    The Violin and cello could do with being seperated in the stereo image to give them a little space to themselves. Both vibratos together just clashed a little. Other than that very nice work.
    Thanks for the feedback - On the very first piece I submitted to this forum I did a little too much panning. After that I did a 180 degree and let the stereo reverb do the panning for most of the strings with some exceptions for brass and percussion. So I have to find the middle ground as mixing more classical string based music is quite new to me.

As for the vibratos clashing - I guess I must have liked that effect (as I did not notice) but if listeners find it annoying or grating -whats the point?

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Gorgeous piece, Del--Very evocative. I appreciate you telling us about the connection this has for you to Baffin Island.

Ray made a helpful observation, about how having a wider stereo image would benefit the recording. It will sound even more striking.
    Thanks for the music, Del!
    Randy B. (rbowser)
    Randy thanks for your comments and encouragement. It helps to be told by several that there are some technical issues - so I know it is not just a taste thing and you guys have much more experience with orchestral music mixing.

And I did not forget your award - CONGRATS! well deserved! I find your comments quite helpful whether they for me or someone else.

Del, it sounds like you have a great handle on the new instruments from Garritan, I really enjoyed that!
    Dan

Del,

this is a very good writing! Bravo!

There are so many feelings in this melody and you have arranged it very well!

About the mix, I agree with Ray, but that is another theme.... .

Experiment with the Pan for every instrument, and I believe that you will fast find out many interesting things..... .

Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Very nice. I listened to this a few of times trying to think of what it reminded me of - I think I finally got it – it reminds me a lot of the a few of the pieces on the movie “The Piano” soundtrack. The music for that was composed by Michael Nyman. Anyway, I really enjoyed this.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast