• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Of memory, strings, a new day gig and a "Devil's Rejects" reunion

Share/Bookmark

Cool OT: Of memory, strings, a new day gig and a "Devil's Rejects" reunion

Hey folks - it's been a while since I've had time to post here. I thought I'd poke my nose in for a bit, say hello, and catch everyone up on the latest. I bought a Suzuki Burgman 650 for the mileage and the ability to split lanes during the commute (and therefore shave off some time) but it's also a ton of fun to ride. Even with that, the better half and I are going to move into Studio City so that we can both be closer to the action.

Speaking of which, Julie has a feature script in pre-production, "The Taxidermist", which she co-wrote with producer Thadd Turner. It looks like the cast list will largely be a re-union of the actors from "The Devil's Rejects", along with the girl from the DLP TV ads ("It's the mirrors") and her brother playing two of the younger roles. Thadd has already picked a composer that he's worked with before, so I'm probably going to sit this one out - but I'll probably be working on other projects with him and with the director. I'll have more on that as things develop.

On the DAW front, I've done some upgrades to my machine, some intended - and some as a consequence of faulty gear. I upgraded to 4GB of RAM, but in the process I found out that one of the memory slots on my main board was bad. So I had to go looking for a replacement. Socket 939 motherboards are about as rare as hen's teeth these days - and I didn't want to go through the process of having to replace everything in the box just for a bad memory slot. As luck would have it, I found a great ECS motherboard for about $40 at Fry's. Well - I don't know how great it will be when I start to put some pressure on the system, but it was an easy up-fit and setting the bios to handle the memory (and full DDR400 speed) was much easier than on my Gigabyte board. So I'm working on setting up a new orchestral template today, and will do some testing to ensure the machine will hold up under stress.

I'm really excited about the K2 player version of GPO, which is going to be the centerpiece of my orchestral template, but I'll be adding the Gofriller and of course Stradivari as well as a few instances of Arturia's BRASS plugin for solo trumpet and trombone. I may delve into scoring some concept pieces for the director of "The Taxidermist" for some of the other films he has in the pipeline, and if I get any of them "ready for broadcast" I'll post and update with the links to the new tunes. Thanks for reading - and hope all is well with my fellow NS-ers.

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: OT: Of memory, strings, a new day gig and a "Devil's Rejects" reunion

three hour drive every day, WOW!

Glad to hear from you Houston.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Socket 939 motherboards are about as rare as hen's teeth these days -
    No kidding.

What is almost as rare now are socket 939 CPUs.
    I have a great, stable Foxconn motherboard (In the last 2 years of video editing and Music composing only 1 hardware crash) but I want to upgrade from my 3000+ to something faster and dual core
    ....the only problem is...
    Ever since AM2 came out prices for 939 procs have barely moved, and the supply is greatly diminished. Now it would almost be cheaper to buy an AM2 MB and AM2 CPU than to buy just the 939 processor.

@DAN - Thanks, most days my commute is closer to an hour each way with the bike. When it was raining on Friday I opted to four-wheel it, and was reminded why I ride the bike - just too many people that can't make a traffic decision that I can simply pass by on two wheels. I was forced to sit through three cycles of one traffic light due to idiots babbling on their cell phone - where if I was on the Burgman I would have duck-walked the bike up to the traffic light and left everyone behind at the first cycle. That light alone added 8 minutes to my commute. Being able to split lanes during the bumper-to-bumper sections, and keep moving on surface streets when things get hectic is a big help. Once we've moved to Studio City, my commute will be cut by 2/3 and I'll be in a place where much more is going on industry-wise and culturally as well. We'll be less than 2 miles from the Hollywood Bowl, and just a few more to the Greek Theater, just to name a few. We're both pretty excited about the move.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBotkin
    No kidding.

What is almost as rare now are socket 939 CPUs.
    I have a great, stable Foxconn motherboard (In the last 2 years of video editing and Music composing only 1 hardware crash) but I want to upgrade from my 3000+ to something faster and dual core
    ....the only problem is...
    Ever since AM2 came out prices for 939 procs have barely moved, and the supply is greatly diminished. Now it would almost be cheaper to buy an AM2 MB and AM2 CPU than to buy just the 939 processor.
    I will probably do a full upgrade later this year, but I wanted to see what would happen with the new Barcelona four-core procs from AMD first. I saw the 939s disappearing and feared that I'd have to dump a grand just to get to the same baseline in an AM2/DDR2 footprint. I feel pretty lucky to have found such a good replacement mobo at a bargain-basement price. I'm thinking about going back to buy another before their stock runs out.

Good to hear you're doing well!

I checked out the site . . . Smooth, clean, and professional looking. (Almost as good as television.)

Welcome back.

Joe

Hi Houston,

It's nice to here your words again. You'll love Studio City. We lived there for eight years. Now mind you, that was thirty-five years ago. A lot of our favorite places have disappeared, but Art's Deli is still there and I here the corn beef is just as good as ever. Best of luck with all your new work.

Keep us up to date,

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    Hi Houston,

It's nice to here your words again. You'll love Studio City. We lived there for eight years. Now mind you, that was thirty-five years ago. A lot of our favorite places have disappeared, but Art's Deli is still there and I here the corn beef is just as good as ever. Best of luck with all your new work.

Keep us up to date,

Karl
    Julie and I are stoked to check out those local haunts, but we have have a special place in our hearts for the "famous" delis here. It seems that a lot of deals are done over a toasted Reuben sandwich. Thanks for the well-wishes.

Houston,

Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear how our friends are doing. You and Julie are doing some good things and it seems like life is on fast forward for both of you. Great to hear of your successes and wish you all the best.

Gary

Go Back to forum