• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: System for EWQLSO

Share/Bookmark

System for EWQLSO

I\'d like to know what the computer experts think of this system for EWQLSO, especially the mobo, which is a hard choice. It\'s got 4 gigs of ram!

Also, do you guys think scsi is worth it with EWQLSO? With giga, no, but kontakt might change this.

Anyway, here goes (Prices form pricewatch.com)

2.4 ghz PIV------------------------160
    4 1GB sticks--(130 each)-----------520
    2 80 2700 ATA100-----------------180
    supermicro P4SAA mobo------------205
    box, PS, fan, etc-------------------200
    video card--------------------------85
    an afternood to put it together------0

total-------------------------------1,350

Its a supermicro mobo, which are famous for their quality. The ram is non-ECC, unbuffered, which is the cheapest kind.

Waddaya think??? Its pretty cheap considering its such a monster. You can put a stealth fan in if its going to be in the same room as your studio. Does it suck? King?

Re: System for EWQLSO

Well, Nick the creator of QLSO is running his lib. on a Pen 4 2.8 with good results , so Im not sure if a 2.4 will work as well.
    Ken

P4 chips are about to drop next week, read this
    new breed of P4 chips

I\'d wait just a few weeks before you make up your mind. Mobo looks ok if you only want the 533 bus speed. I\'m personally waiting just a week or 2 for the new sprindale mobos.

About going Scsi... If you have the means to keep the computer(s) in a separate room or cover the noise, I\'d go with this as a cheap alternative to SCSI Raptor Enterprise WD360GD Serial ATA Hard Drive 36.7GB 10000RPM 8MB
    These are very fast, but they are known for not being the quietest ones on the market.

Originally posted by Leon Willett:

2.4 ghz PIV------------------------160
    4 1GB sticks--(130 each)-----------520
    2 80 2700 ATA100-----------------180
    supermicro P4SAA mobo------------205
    box, PS, fan, etc-------------------200
    video card--------------------------85
    an afternood to put it together------0
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">an evening loading all the DVD\'s-------Sleepless
    cracking open a beer while pressing a key for the first time and hearing \"(insert instrument sound of your choice)\"------Priceless
    using your wife\'s Master Card and maxing it out with out her permission-------Sexless (....like you have time for that anyways!)

Aaron Dirk

I\'d wait just a few weeks before you make up your mind. Mobo looks ok if you only want the 533 bus speed. I\'m personally waiting just a week or 2 for the new sprindale mobos.

Seth, Can u tell us what advantages the 800mhz w/HT have over 533 without? Thanks,RP

Originally posted by Rich Pell:

Seth, Can u tell us what advantages the 800mhz w/HT have over 533 without? Thanks,RP
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey to explain in great detail would take too much time but I\'ll try to explain as best I can for the time allotted for me now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The faster buss speed effects system performance for
    most everything, where processor speed really only helps process information faster. The Hyper threading technology helps with multitasking and memory management. It sort of tricks your processor into thinking it is 2 or more processors, and this of course would help greatly so you could multitask in Kontact or using programs in real time. That is the real quick down and dirty. You can read more about it on sites like Toms hardware guide, or The Tech Report. As far as 533MHz I think it is being phased out and being used with upcoming Laptops and the 800MHz will probably be 1GHZ by years end. Someone else maybe able to explain better but that is the best I could do in this short period of time! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

i have worked with supermicro boards and with video integrators that use them for over 4 years . they are great boards as there is a large selection to choose from and many of them have onboard scsi in single and dual XEON configurations - xeon have xtra backside cache and are the \"big brother\" of the p4. they are very popular in the animation and video compositing world where cpu power is needed. I am looking at the possibility of a single or dual xeon for this libary if it is optimized for dual cpu .- not sure just yet see:

http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/linecard.htm

and crossreference the xeon boards to the supermicro site.

another thing the supermicro boards are power hogs. they ussually require a minimum of 400 watts. all on out on the website

NEVER BUY non brand RAM sticks... always buy from chipmakers who are known for quality. Ive have had so much trouble myself with those cheap RAM\'s and you will gain from buying quality stuff.

Thats my honest oppinion.
    Cheers
    Andreas

Thanks for all the input guys!

Go Back to forum