• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Topic: Paean to a Pie

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Paean to a Pie

    Creamy chocolate pie with whipped cream is great therapy! So is watching kittens discovering a tree to chase each other around!


    Paean to a Pie

    The mp3 is good, with GPO Steinway. The Scorch file will have an explosive crescendo, maybe two.

    richardw

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: Paean to a Pie

    Hmmm, with the idea of kittens playing in my mind I found this highly narrative. I could almost see them… I guess it was the areas of imitative counterpoint chasing each other around or the quick scurrying, ascents and descents in a few places.

    I’ll admit I’m a little dull at picking these types of things up on a few minutes listen and a quick look at the score – is this based on an ABA theme with 2 variations of that theme? I don’t see it all they way but there is a great cohesion to this piece and I see a lot of repeated ideas and…

    Oh well, I’m sure I got it wrong, but I did like it and listen a few times through.
    Trent P. McDonald

  3. #3
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: Paean to a Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Hmmm, with the idea of kittens playing in my mind I found this highly narrative. I could almost see them… I guess it was the areas of imitative counterpoint chasing each other around or the quick scurrying, ascents and descents in a few places.

    I’ll admit I’m a little dull at picking these types of things up on a few minutes listen and a quick look at the score – is this based on an ABA theme with 2 variations of that theme? I don’t see it all they way but there is a great cohesion to this piece and I see a lot of repeated ideas and…

    Oh well, I’m sure I got it wrong, but I did like it and listen a few times through.
    Well, I have been working on 5 or so other pieces since this one, but I think it was ABBA with a bit of variation/development. Yes, I considered it quite cohesive, something which is very important to me. I usually am quite free with form, and develop my ideas from material that presents itself to me, with consideration of traditional forms low in priority. This sometimes (not in this case) leads to a sort of near chaos condition which I then resolve.

    The pie is gone, but the kittens are getting bolder daily. With cats, who needs television? The kittens are now having their last romp of the day, as the sun is fast disappearing behind the tree tops.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

    Richard

  4. #4

    Re: Paean to a Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Creamy chocolate pie with whipped cream...
    Ah, Richard, you've struck upon one of my [many]
    weaknesses... rofl!

    And indeed, it is quite cohesive (the piece, not the
    pie). The "scurries" and the clear ascending and
    descending motifs in this -- they work well to give the
    ear critical "hinges" upon which to latch in following
    the sense of the work.

    Most enjoyable -- and, I think more accessible than
    some of your terser work, my friend.

    My best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  5. #5

    Re: Paean to a Pie

    Hi, Richard

    Another intriguing listening experience, this time with quite a smile-provoking sense of mischief.

    As I listened, I had the desire to hear what this would sound like with full orchestra, with special attention paid to the Xylophone and other percussion. I could almost hear it. What a fun orchestration challenge it would be.

    Thanks--I enjoyed.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  6. #6

    Thumbs up Re: Paean to a Pie

    Very much enjoyed it.

    This particular piece reminds me some of keyboard pieces of J. S. Bach.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

  7. #7

    Re: Paean to a Pie

    Enjoyed this Richard. Well crafted and very accessible as a result. I liked the way this kept moving forward and held the attention. Works well on the piano although once or twice I tried to imagine it played on the organ, on which I think it would also be well suited with a good, forceful pedal line.

    Regards, Graham

  8. #8

    Re: Paean to a Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch
    Enjoyed this Richard. Well crafted and very accessible as a result. I liked the way this kept moving forward and held the attention. Works well on the piano although once or twice I tried to imagine it played on the organ, on which I think it would also be well suited with a good, forceful pedal line.

    Regards, Graham
    Given some of the knock-out organ work I've heard
    from you, Richard, I wouldn't mind hearing that,
    myself... as Graham says, it seems like the material
    would adapt naturally and readily.

    My best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  9. #9
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,938

    Re: Paean to a Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Given some of the knock-out organ work I've heard
    from you, Richard, I wouldn't mind hearing that,
    myself... as Graham says, it seems like the material
    would adapt naturally and readily.

    My best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    Well, David and Graham, I confess to considering an organ version of this. It is a natural for the organ. Perhaps I should name the organ version Paean Pipes?

    Richard

  10. #10

    Re: Paean to a Pie

    Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, David and Graham, I confess to considering an organ version of this. It is a natural for the organ. Perhaps I should name the organ version Paean Pipes?

    Richard
    ROFL... now you *have to* do it, Richard.
    Who could resist the lure of that title?

    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •