• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fluttertoung, 20thC Technique

Share/Bookmark

Fluttertoung, 20thC Technique

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if its possible to use a technique called Fluttertoung in either Sibelius and Finale2007. If so can GPO particularly the Sibelius Edition recongise this technique? If not would someone be interested in making a plug-in of some kind? This is a common technique that used by composers such as Stravinsky (in The Firebrand) and Schorneburg.

At the moment in compositions I'm just writting in the technique and GPO just plays the naturally; but it'd be really cool someday if GPO where able to play this technique back to us. Couldn't you picture a composer useing the Tuba in a rather shall we say humerous way finishing on the lowest D note with a fluttertoung technique (need I say more ).

Cheers L42B

Re: Fluttertoung, 20thC Technique

Quote Originally Posted by L42B
    Hi Everyone

I was wondering if its possible to use a technique called Fluttertoung in either Sibelius and Finale2007. If so can GPO particularly the Sibelius Edition recongise this technique? If not would someone be interested in making a plug-in of some kind? This is a common technique that used by composers such as Stravinsky (in The Firebrand) and Schorneburg.

At the moment in compositions I'm just writting in the technique and GPO just plays the naturally; but it'd be really cool someday if GPO where able to play this technique back to us.
    As far as I know, Fluttertongue is in all JABB wind patches and only in the Flute Solo KS patch of GPO. Human Playback in Finale 2007 does interpret fluttertongue for those patches (you need to use the /// tremolo articulation).
    It indeed is largely used by Schönberg (5 pieces op.16 for inst.) and others.

Rob.

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if its possible to use a technique called Fluttertoung in either Sibelius

I will experiment tonight and see what I can come up with. (unless someone beats me to it.)

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe
    I will experiment tonight and see what I can come up with. (unless someone beats me to it.)

Ed
    In Sibelius add the following technic text ~C18,nn Where nn is a number between 0 (off) and 127 (Max flutter tounge/growl). The "C" must be upper case. Does that help?

Ed
    //
    //

Hi Ed

Thankyou for your response and help. I'm a complete novice when it comes to notation software (which I've had for a year) and GPO (I only recieved it last week); and I'm not that great with technology as a whole so this is of great help.

I've noticed that the flutter tounging is present. However is their a way to make it more intense? At the moment it sounds like the fluatist just has a very bad ombasure, acommpanied with an anxiety attack midway through performance. Its certainly much better then what it was though.

Cheers L42B

Hi Ed

Thankyou for your response and help. I'm a complete novice when it comes to notation software (which I've had for a year) and GPO (I only recieved it last week); and I'm not that great with technology as a whole so this is of great help.

I've noticed that the flutter tounging is present. However is their a way to make it more intense? At the moment it sounds like the fluatist just has a very bad ombasure, acommpanied with an anxiety attack midway through performance. Its certainly much better then what it was though.

Cheers L42B

I beleive CC12 adds air to sample. As a technique text add a ~C12,nn command where nn is 0 to 127 (0 is off). Try various combiations on ~C12 and ~C15 to play wiht the sound.

It is a bit slow doing in Sibelius, but you can do it. I am taking about hte JABB stuff here.
    //
    //

Hi Ed

Fixed the problem. Sibelius does allow this as a default plaback and it sounds excellent with GPO. For your future reference look up Play -> Dictionary. It is notated ast fluttertongu.

Thanks for your help, L42B

Go Back to forum