• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Handel - Organ Concerto (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale)

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Handel - Organ Concerto (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale)

    I have been a member of this community for a while now but this is the first time I have posted a work in the Listening Room.

    Handel - Organ Concerto in F (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale) 2nd Movement

    For those who are unfamiliar with this, the nickname (Cuckoo and Nightingale) comes from the bird song motifs to be heard in this movement. Coincidentally, this work was completed by Handel in April (2nd) 1739.

    This was prepared entirely with good ol' GPO. I spent some time listening to recordings played on authentic instruments to get an idea of the organ registrations used then auditioned the GPO organ to find what I felt were appropriate samples. The file size is 4.03 Mb.

    Hope you enjoy my effort and thanks for listening.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  2. #2

    Re: Handel - Organ Concerto (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale)

    overall this was a very good rendition. and welcome to the posting portion of the listening room. its where spirits are liften, and broken all at the same time. i thought the organ sounded very good, my only beef (and its a small beef) is with the string section. i'm not sure which sample you used (lush, short + sustain, or what), but i would recommend throwing in a solo violin, viola, cello, or whatever you're using to give it more of an attack. the strings just sounded a bit too weak for the short attacks that were used in the piece. the other thing is to maybe add a little more dynamics (velocity and mod wheel data) to the short repeated string notes to avoid the machine gun effect.

    with all that said, it was still very nicely done. the good things FAR outweighed the not as good. the organ and harpsicord were mixed very well, and so were the strings for the most part. thanks for posting, and you should keep more coming - people here have very good advice most of the time and its the best way to learn in my opinion. take it easy.
    -Keith Fuller

    http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

  3. #3

    Re: Handel - Organ Concerto (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale)

    Keith, thank you for listening and for your helpful and constructive comments.

    I must confess I have been a musician for many many years but I have little experience as an audio engineer having had zero training in this. I would love to be able to mix and master with the experts.

    Thanks again
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  4. #4

    Re: Handel - Organ Concerto (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale)

    Hello, Michael

    You've certainly made a wonderful debut in the Listening Room! It's hard to believe that you have little engineering experience--This recording is way up the ladder.

    Keith gave you some interesting feedback to think about. Bringing the strings to full life with an appropriate amount of robustness is always a challenge. But what you've done is far beyond the flat un-dynamic strings often heard in early efforts.

    !!-- I just realized I've listend four times in a row now. Guess that rather indicates how much I've been enjoying this.

    Thank you!

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Orcas Island
    Posts
    11,454

    Re: Handel - Organ Concerto (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale)

    Michael,

    You certainly know how to make a musical introduction! Your rendition of the Handel Organ Concerto is marvelous. Amazing it was written almost 270 years ago. I listened several times and enjoyed it very much. You certainly made it shine.

    I hope this is the first of many musical offerings from you. Thanks for posting this.

    Gary Garritan

  6. #6

    Re: Handel - Organ Concerto (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale)

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Michael

    You've certainly made a wonderful debut in the Listening Room! It's hard to believe that you have little engineering experience--This recording is way up the ladder.

    Keith gave you some interesting feedback to think about. Bringing the strings to full life with an appropriate amount of robustness is always a challenge. But what you've done is far beyond the flat un-dynamic strings often heard in early efforts.

    !!-- I just realized I've listend four times in a row now. Guess that rather indicates how much I've been enjoying this.

    Thank you!

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    WOW .. thank you so much Randy. I consider this a true accolade coming from yourself

    I shall certainly experiment more with bringing strings to fullness .. yet remaining sensitive to the score and the composer's interpreted intentions just as in a live performance. Not an easy feat by any means.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  7. #7

    Re: Handel - Organ Concerto (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale)

    Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Michael,

    You certainly know how to make a musical introduction! Your rendition of the Handel Organ Concerto is marvelous. Amazing it was written almost 270 years ago. I listened several times and enjoyed it very much. You certainly made it shine.

    I hope this is the first of many musical offerings from you. Thanks for posting this.

    Gary Garritan
    Thank you Gary. I feel honoured that you called by to listen.

    I have been working also on the 1st movement and I hope to add this soon.

    You know how to make a man feel good
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  8. #8

    Re: Handel - Organ Concerto (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale)

    Definitely, a fine quality Cuckoo, Michael!

    Well rendered and well interpreted -- I also took
    note of the organ voicing as very well chosen.

    A warm welcome aboard to the Listening Room,
    Michael; and judging by your debut, much, much
    more fine work to come!

    My best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  9. #9

    Re: Handel - Organ Concerto (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale)

    It might be interesting to try out the D2 short bows keyswitch for those small string notes... though that might not work at all. But what you have already finished is great, nice organ work! I was not before familiar with this catchy organ piece by Handel, it's a pleasure to be introduced to it in this way.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

  10. #10

    Re: Handel - Organ Concerto (The Cuckoo and the Nightingale)

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Definitely, a fine quality Cuckoo, Michael!

    Well rendered and well interpreted -- I also took
    note of the organ voicing as very well chosen.

    A warm welcome aboard to the Listening Room,
    Michael; and judging by your debut, much, much
    more fine work to come!

    My best,



    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    ROFL .. thank you David. Good of you to call in and listen.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •