• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Solo Piano

Share/Bookmark

Solo Piano

My quandary, how to give an opinion in the listening room on a solo piano piece.
    I do appreciate the musicianship of a pianist writing and performing a piece for piano but I find myself saying “well, what’s it got to do with Garritan libraries other than the Steinway being a great sounding sample set?”
    The piano keyboard is the normal physical method for inputting midi information real-time so, I love to hear what can be done using a keyboard to produce a multitude of sounds and therefore see simply playing piano on a piano type keyboard as no great shakes.

Please straighten me out on my bad attitude. Thanks

Ray

Re: Solo Piano

Hmm, don't take it so.
    Styxx

Ray, I can understand your quandary - submitting a piano piece isn't the same in technical terms as submitting other instrumentation with keyboard input. However, since not everyone on here has JABB (for example), music using the JABB Steinway shows off the instrument's range and tones very nicely and does some of Gary's PR for him. Also, in my opinion it's just good to hear other people's music, no matter which instruments are used - it provides all sorts of inspiration.

I guess this touches on the same area as the thread where we discussed the purpose of the listening area, and whether it needed to be subdivided. Are we posting to show what we can do with samples, or to share our music, or to get formative feedback, (on production, composition, sampler technique)?

If it's OK to use the Listening Room simply to share music (so long as Garritan libraries are involved of course) then surely a piano piece is fine. Having said that though, I can understand what you're saying, and possibly composers who do post piano pieces lay themselves open to uninvited comments on their composition per se, since there is less to say about production and orchestration.

difficulty in writing it shouldn't really have anything to do with whether someone likes something or not. i think some of the greatest and most moving songs can be played with with a solo melody line and be a 100 times better than something that shows off ranges and technical abilities. one that comes to mind is amazing grace - i think this could be played on a solo violin, cello, trumpet, french horn, or whatever all by itself. i would rather listen to that as opposed to something that took two years to create, has tons of technically difficult lines, shows all ranges and dynamics of every instrument, but still sounds like crap. so thats my tirade on judging music by its "difficulty."

secondly, i don't see any problem whatsoever in sharing a piano only piece. yes, part of the listening room is to show what you can do with garritan products. but more importantly is to just SHARE what you wrote. solo piano music can sound absolutely beautiful, and it my opinion is jsut as hard as writing orchestral music. i don't think there should be a limit on how many garritan instruments you have to use in order to share in the listening room. i think it is simply to share music that you wrote - and sometimes a solo piano is all the the composer wanted. anyway, thats how i feel about all that.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

I disagree with you on several counts.

Piano music has through the ages been very highly regarded. Think of Bach’s Well Tempered Clavier (of course originally written for harpsichord), Beethoven’s 32 sonatas, almost everything by Chopin, quite a bit of work by Liszt and Rachmaninoff. Some of the greatest music, and some of my favorite music, has been for solo piano. In my opinion, Beethoven’s Sonata Opus 106 (aka Hammerklavier) and his Diabelli Variations rank as high as any of his symphonies with the possible exception of Nos. 3 and 9. (Seeing a person play the Hammerklavier is certainly much more impressive than watching an orchestra play one of the symphonies – alone on stage for about three quarters of an hour with everyone listening to every slight nuance of your performance….)

You have to remember with piano music the composition has to be good because you can’t cover mistakes with tone colors or orchestration. Everything is out there for all to hear. And traditionally music for solo piano and small chamber groups have been where a lot of composers put some of their most intense and demanding compositional skills to work – a large symphony is often too cumbersome for and usually has to appeal to a much larger audience.

In the listening room, no matter what type of music or what instruments, when I hear something presented as original, I first listen to the composition. I then listen to the orchestration/arrangement/choice of instruments (term depends on type of music). Very last I listen to the rendering. If the rendering is particularly good, I might say something. Occasionally the rendering is really bad, in which case I try to decide the posters intent – if they don’t care about rendering I won’t mention it unless it is ultra distracting.

As far as “what does a solo piano have to do with GPO or JABB?” It is an instrument that is included with both libraries, why should it be excluded? A huge amount of music has been written for solo piano so, again, why exclude it? Even if a huge amount wasn’t written for it, it still should be included – I’ve posted pieces for solo, unaccompanied clarinet and solo, unaccompanied oboe.

Some of your remarks are a little confusing to me. It seems that you think everyone puts in every line real time with a keyboard and one of your objectives in the listening room is to hear how realistic people get in their manually playing the parts in and judge a piece by how realistic it has been entered. I’m sure a large part of the crowd, maybe not the majority, but a large number, use notation to enter the info in. And those that play parts in usually go back and clean things up, change mod wheel info, etc. With some exceptions I don’t think most people post things to show how well they can use GPO to play live orchestral parts in – certainly not the people doing large symphonic work, particularly if original.

Everyone here has a different reason for posting and a different reason for listening. I post because I want comments on my composition - I am still learning and don't want to do so living in a vacuum with no feedback. I listen to hear the music people are posting. I really don't care too much about rendering (if I want great rendering I'll listen to the real thing). If it is an "end product" I will care about the total sound, which includes the rendering, and I am impressed by some people's rendering skills (such as DPDAN). Primarily, as I said, I'm here to hear what types of music people are writing, to give feedback (I'm not the only one who doesn't want to live and compose in a vacuum) and share in the community.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thank you for your posts already on the subject.
    I have no problem in appreciating or not as the case maybe any piece posted in the listening room, regardless of instrumentation on it's musicality or recording quality, but to post an opinion on composition and/or performance of a piece played solely on a piano is beyond me.
    I started this thread because I post tunes and I hope for feedback therefore if I expect feedback I should try to give as much as I get. Finding myself unable to post any comment good or bad for someone elses work troubles me.
    Should I just keep my thoughts to myself. (the bottom line)

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayzalaf
    Thank you for your posts already on the subject.
    I have no problem in appreciating or not as the case maybe any piece posted in the listening room, regardless of instrumentation on it's musicality or recording quality, but to post an opinion on composition and/or performance of a piece played solely on a piano is beyond me.
    I started this thread because I post tunes and I hope for feedback therefore if I expect feedback I should try to give as much as I get. Finding myself unable to post any comment good or bad for someone elses work troubles me.
    Should I just keep my thoughts to myself. (the bottom line)

Ray
    No, you're perfectly entitled to have opinions. Just keep them constructive and noone can take offence. After all if they're posting their music then they're asking for feedback.

Trent

I was posting my last comments at the same time you were posting your opinion.
    I was not looking for agreement or not.
    I love piano, I wish I learned to play piano, it is the instrument above all others that can perform in most genres so we are in complete agreement on that. I've already said the piano keyboard is the instrument of choice for arranging and performing most sample libraries. Why? nobody on this forum needs someone else to answer that question. If I'm being truthfully honest I consider solo piano pieces to be by far the easiest thing to do with a piano sample library. I rest my case. Now if that pianist adds some other orchestration to the piano part, then we'll be cooking.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    No, you're perfectly entitled to have opinions. Just keep them constructive and noone can take offence. After all if they're posting their music then they're asking for feedback.
    Agreed - everyone has their opinions. I shared mine the way I did mostly answer the following - "Please straighten me out on my bad attitude." I sometimes have an emphatic way of stating opinion, but it is just opinion. I hope I came across as constructive, because that is the way I meant it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum