• Register
  • Help

Topic: wiiviolin

Share/Bookmark

wiiviolin

I noticed in my vb.net development environment that someone had posted a class for working with the Wiimote on the PC. With my interest in good, simple, MIDI interfaces, I had the funny idea of playing a violin with it - bowing with the 'mote and shaking the nunchuck for vibrato. Don't know how easy it would be to interpret the motion data, though...

Re: wiiviolin

It seems like it would work well, doesn't it have the same control data as a joystick?
    Someone posted on here before how to set up a joystick to use for cc controller, volume and sustain. If you figure out how to do it, post instructions here, or maybe someone else will know and post info.

David

The Wii-mote has accelerometers in three directions, so you can move it side to side, up and down and back and forth, as well as twist it around every way. Doing a joystick MIDI control probably wouldn't be too difficult. If I get one, I will probably modify my mouse program to accomodate it.

I like the idea of using it for vibrato. I have trouble doing it with the wheel, I know I'll get better with pracice, but it seems like with the Wilmote you could mimick the actual motion of your wrist and of your fingers on the strings, much better. I'm downloading your hymns from the listening room now, but can't listen until i return later, then i'll comment in that thread.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf
    I like the idea of using it for vibrato. I have trouble doing it with the wheel, I know I'll get better with pracice, but it seems like with the Wilmote you could mimick the actual motion of your wrist and of your fingers on the strings, much better. I'm downloading your hymns from the listening room now, but can't listen until i return later, then i'll comment in that thread.

David
    Dear David - about having trouble with the vibrato motion - I agree about that. I made a program that lets you move the mouse back and forth to control vibrato - it catches both your amplitude (vibrato depth) and speed. You can also control expression with an up and down movement. If you already knew about this, sorry for the repeat, but I just wanted to let you know. You can search for "mouse control" to find the thread here.

Jason

How about a Wii Theremin?
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

PC Format recently described what you have to to do to link a WII control to a PC and I am sure the method can be found on the web (it looked very easy). There are many threads here on this forum how to use game controllers to control midi and I have used joy sticks and steering wheel pedals to control GPO live before.

So I would say yes, it could be done, and if someone buys me a WII I will prove it!

Go Back to forum