• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Another Solo Strings comparison

Share/Bookmark

Another Solo Strings comparison

Here's another solo strings comparison. These string trio pieces are the same string sequence done with two different solo string sample sets from different libraries. If you are interested in solo string samples and libraries, you might be interested in making the comparisons and contrasts here.

Fire Dance for String Trio

It's the same libraries as in the previous post. The only difference between the sequences is that an octave slide is briefly used in one and not the other. If you need to know the identities of the libraries you can find them in a previous post or perhaps someone else will clue you in.

I'm interested in you observations regarding the sound as well as the music.

Thanks.

Marko

Re: Another Solo Strings comparison

The recording quality of the first one is better to my ears BUT the expression of the aggressive fast playing in the second one is SO MUCH more exciting and realistic sounding.

Best,
    Jay

I agree. The second one does it for me.

Nick

tough call... I know what you guys mean about the aggressive performance in 2, but I think its nearly as good as 1, and I like the sound of 1 better.

1. kirk hunter's
    2. ewqlso

?

only because of the heavy verb on the 2nd one, and I think I'm starting to catch on to that kirk hunter sound and heard it in 1.

btw GREAT piece and GREAT sequencing man. That was awesome.

Hi Marco

The crisper attacks make the notes all clear in the first, giving the feeling of pursuit. The clarity of the attacks and all of the notes are not as well defined in the second, but the tone quality is a warmer sound, more mysterious . The music is exiting and restless. It gets my interest immediately. ( A person could get carple finger from trying this on a keyboard.)

best to you

tony

Yes, the second track is more what I would listen to! Excellent job! The first hada closer quality to it, but some of the high runs in certain spots didn't play right. I could hear that it was palyed on a keyboard, while the second was pretty much flawless. Seems that the 2 different libraries respond differently to the midi.

At any rate, a well done peice!

Ricky B

Quote Originally Posted by n8tron
    tough call...
    1. kirk hunter's
    2. ewqlso
    Well, I think it's the other way around.

Number 2 sounds best, should be Kirks

A marvelous piece though! Congrats!

Best
    Thomas
    We are the musikmakers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
    -Willy Wonka

www.lavergren.com
    Follow me on Twitter!

what are the two libraries? i use garritan stuff, so those are pretty much all i know. these sound great. what are they?
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    Here's another solo strings comparison. These string trio pieces are the same string sequence done with two different solo string sample sets from different libraries. If you are interested in solo string samples and libraries, you might be interested in making the comparisons and contrasts here.

It's the same libraries as in the previous post. The only difference between the sequences is that an octave slide is briefly used in one and not the other. If you need to know the identities of the libraries you can find them in a previous post or perhaps someone else will clue you in.

I'm interested in you observations regarding the sound as well as the music.

Thanks.

Marko
    The music is remarkable as usual (I love your demos on Kirk Hunter´s website). I´m not sure about the first library (I don´t like it too much) but the second library is Emerald/Ruby that´s for sure. Well done (makes me optimistic that I will get a decent composition with Emerald once I have practised for another 10 years
    Best regards
    Raindog

Nick, Jay, n8tron, Tony, Ricky, Thomas, Keith and Raindog.

Thanks for putting your ears to the grind and checking these out.

The first sequence is with EWQLSO XP platinum. I used all three mic positions with the f mics much lower than the c mics and the s mics even lower than the f mics. No added reverb here.

The second sequence is with Kirk Hunter's Solo strings. (I think I have an early version of it.) I put this through an external reverb unit.

Marko

Go Back to forum