• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Sound Treatment

Share/Bookmark

OT: Sound Treatment

I have a basic question about sound treatment and interim studios. I am a renter and I'm not sure how long I'll inhabit my current residence. I have just ordered the Auralex foam and want to use an adehesive that will be removable later. Is there something that will be a good compromise between rock solid adhesion and the foam falling off of the walls every 4 weeks?
    Sorry for the OT post. Thanks Travis

Re: OT: Sound Treatment

Stick it on a piece of plywood and screw it on the wall.

...BTW, you don't have to by this stuff, you could build your own out of a couple a peice of wood + wool etc... and save big IMO with better result i would bet.(not sure it would be better but i think it would)

Foam is only gonna treat certain high frequencies.

I wish I could remember the materials used to build gobos.
    Something like 1 sheet of plywood, 1 sheet of drywall, covered with burlap?

Am I allowed to mention Sound on Sound here? this british magazine has regular studio SOS articles and a good forum thread on Studio accoustics. also worth doing is searchin the site for articles on the top right hand corner of the site.

www.soundonsound.com

Sorry I can't help you myself, but as I don't have any treatment at all, I dont have the knowlege.

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

If your eventual solution still involves putting up foam on the wall, I've had good luck using small finishing nails. It might take a half dozen or so per sheet, depending on the size and thickness. I simply hammer them through the foam into the drywall, then use a countersink tap to push them just beneath the foam's surface so you don't see the heads. It holds up the foam panels nicely, and when you take them down, all you have are very small finishing nail holes - even smaller than if you hung pictures in those spots. The tiny holes are easily patched.

Although I've never done it myself, I like the idea of the plywood, too. I would think you could simply hang the panel the same way you would a large picture frame.

Wouldn't that be a good idea to stick it on a piece of rigid isolation, stick a piece of wood that acts as a spacer in the back and screw it on the wall. That way it would also work a bit like a bass trap ''if'' i understand correctly.

Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Dirk
    T-pins

Nah! Those only work on voodoo dulls.

Yeah, Geronimo001. If the foam is on a board and hung with some space (1") behind it, it would help trap. I did exactly that and hung it from hte edges of my drop ceiling. No wall damage at all.

RickyB

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky B
    Yeah, Geronimo001. If the foam is on a board and hung with some space (1") behind it, it would help trap. I did exactly that and hung it from hte edges of my drop ceiling. No wall damage at all.

RickyB
    Oh! so it does not have to be screwed tight then. That is good to know, and it will make the job easier for me here...

Thanks Ricky!

Go Back to forum