• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cut off Viola note problem

Share/Bookmark

Cut off Viola note problem

Here's a new one on me:

In a sequence which so far has 1st strings, 2nd strings and Violas, there's one particular note for the Violas, B4, which won't play for the full length I need. I've looked at the Event Views, where all MIDI data is listed, for each of the tracks. There's nothing there that shouldn't be.

Experimenting, in Piano Roll View, I moved the B4 up a half step, and it played for the correct duration. It also was fine when I shifted down a half step.

This note stops after one beat even if the Violas track is soloed.

Totally perplexed.

My work around--I changed the note to a C and used pitch bend for that one B4. Awkward--at least I can keep working.

But--what the...?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Re: Cut off Viola note problem

Randy, I can't help you - but I can understand your situation. A few uears back I had exactly the same thing happen. I think I had imported a MIDI file from Sibelius to Overture - and there was a viola note that simply wouldn't play its duration. Perhaps some data had snuck in, I don't know. I went into notation mode, deleted, then re-entered the pitch and all was well. Odd, in a piece of 7 minutes, full string ensemble one note - one - chose not to play. Shy, I guess.

Just wanted you to know you are not alone...
    Last edited by rpearl; 04-25-2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: really gotta proofread...
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi, Ron--Thanks much for the reply. INteresting!--that it happened to you once also.

This was an original MIDI performance of mine, recorded directly into the same program where the note is sticking, so that detail is different. Also, I tried deleting and re-inserting the note in both Piano and Staff Views--no change.

But, the pitch bend worked perfectly, so that's that for now. But SO odd---Once in a great while we just get these "shy" notes as you described them. hehe.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I didn't know about B4, but Eb5 does the same thing. Kind of killed the climax of a movement of my thesis piece! Haha. When I look at it in Kontakt full version (2), it is not looped. I have no clue how to fix that though. :P

I should mention it was Solo Viola KS.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Randy,

The fact that you played the note in suggests something in data that got transmitted; mine was from a notation file (converted to MIDI). Strange...
    It's funny- we expect these things to work all the time, and for the most part they do, so when they mis-fire, we are both amazed and chagrined. And annoyed! At least it's only one note!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

That's wild, jessh!

You really think that one note isn't looped then?--At all times?

My problem was with the Viola section, KS. I know my problem note Is looped, because it will play fine, hold forever--Just in this sequence it stops at the end of the sample.

Yeah, Ron, it sounds like something crept into the data as I played--Except that it's a totally repeatable error. Over and over again, I'd play it, then try inserting it--all notes fine except for this one and in this particular location of the track. Read out of the full MIDI data shows nothing that shouldn't be there.

'Tis a mystery--we work around these very rare odd problems and go on.

Thanks for the responses!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    That's wild, jessh!

You really think that one note isn't looped then?--At all times?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Yeah, its funny. When I view it in Kontakt2, I can see where it isn't looped. lol

I am sure it was just overlooked because it is a pretty high not on the viola.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Randy,

I would look for another note at the point it cuts out. The note could be so short that it doesn't show up in a piano roll type view. You may need to look in an event editor.

Jim

Hi, Jim, that was an excellent suggestion.

I went to the Event List to check on an extra note--alas, none there. I zoomed in to a Huge close up of everything in Piano View, and of course not there either.

The B4 plays and loops for any duration Anywhere in the track except for this one spot. Whatever's cutting off the note is completely invisible with every tool available.

AH well!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    I have no clue how to fix that though. :P
    Report it as a bug, of course! This is the first I've heard of it.

I should mention it was Solo Viola KS.
    Looking into it now, it's even odder than a missing loop section. The loop actually appears to be there, but the 'Sample Start' is in the middle of the loop! I have no idea how that would happen besides an errant mouse-drag. At any rate, apparently the Kontakt engine chokes if the beginning of the loop is before the sample start point? So odd...

Otherwise, this problem totally smacks of two "overlapped" notes, where the end of the first with terminal the second of the same pitch as well. But if examining the Event List doesn't turn it up? Hard to say for sure...

EDIT: Tried to find a messed up loop or Sample Start in Randy's case, but couldn't locate one. Which patch is this in, Randy?

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum