• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Wind Machine to be featured in concert!

Share/Bookmark

GPO Wind Machine to be featured in concert!

This has somewhat of a backstory; I am currently a member of the New York based chamber choir Canticum Novum and we are in the hectic last-minute process of preparing for our big May 5th concert celebrating the 200th birthday of the poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Featured in this concert are; Paul Revere's Ride, Snow-Flakes, Keramos, (selections from) The Saga of King Olaf, and the Golden Legend (choral epilogue) as set by David Del Tredici, Ned Rorem, Stephen Schwartz, Sir Edward Elgar, and Sir Arthur Sullivan respectively.

Paul Revere's Ride, a recent composition by David Del Tredici, calls for a large orchestra with lots of percussion and misc. items including bird tweets, a siren, and a wind machine. Since we are using the piano reduction (with an absolutely incredible pianist by the name of Christina Valdes) and don't have a percussion section, I proposed to our director the idea of using a bit of sound tech to provide the appropriate SFX. Finding birds and sirens was easy enough, but what easier place to look for a wind machine than my favorite orchestral library, Garritan's Personal Orchestra!

For those of you in the NYC area who are interested in attending, the concert is May 5th at the Great Hall of Cooper Union, 7 E 7th St. and 3rd Avenue. There is a preconcert talk at 7pm with the composers David Del Tredici and Stephen Schwartz as well as readings of Longfellow's poetry by his great-great-grandchildren (I believe that the author of Longfellow's most recent biography will also be there), and the concert itself starts at 8 o'clock pm. Tickets are $25 at the door or you can purchase them by calling Ticketmaster at (212) 279-4200.

Re: GPO Wind Machine to be featured in concert!

Oh great. Now some poor wind machinist is out of a job because of
    GPO. They've got families to feed, you know.

- k

Quote Originally Posted by klassical
    Oh great. Now some poor wind machinist is out of a job because of
    GPO. They've got families to feed, you know.

- k
    Sadly, I don't think they're allowed to have children...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon F.
    Finding birds and sirens was easy enough, but what easier place to look for a wind machine than my favorite orchestral library, Garritan's Personal Orchestra!
    "You hear that? Those are the winds of change...."

Re: Canticum Novum

Ah, six degrees of separation, yet again (I wonder if Kevin Bacon is somehow involved).

I studied with Harold Rosenbaum (Sightsinging, beginner's chorus) and have seen Canticum Novum (and Harold's other group) perform several times, both serious (at Merkin Hall and at the Jazz Church, I believe) and comic (with Peter Schickele). A remarkable group.

I will try and make your May concert, especially now that the wind machine is involved.

PJ

How fun!

You automatically win the "Most Unexpected Thread" award, Simon.

When I first saw that GPO had a wind machine in its percussion family, I thought, "How quaint!" And once in awhile I think of trying to use it, since my music tends to include sundry instruments and Things not generally associated with orchestral music. So far I haven't used it--I wanted Definitely Synth Wind last time I needed anything close to the wind machine's effect.

But this is just a superb idea, to flesh out the ensemble for your performance this way.

I couldn't be farther away from New York in the continental states--I'm in Oregon, so I'm probably going to miss the occasion--But I wish you all the best with it. Great!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Simon,

Thanks for letting us know. I will let my friends in New York know about the concert and urge members from New York City to attend!

That's fantastic that you're using the wind machine sounds from GPO. I agree with Randy that you get the "Most Unexpected Thread" award.

Wind machines are a rarity and this was something we went out of our way to include in GPO. It is a rather large instrument too and requires some muscle power to crank up the wind. That particular wind machine in GPO was recorded in the Czech Republic. Of course, I know that nothing beats a real wind bag

Good luck with the performance.

Gary Garritan

"The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind"

Re: Canticum Novum

Quote Originally Posted by pjGtr
    I studied with Harold Rosenbaum (Sightsinging, beginner's chorus) and have seen Canticum Novum (and Harold's other group) perform several times, both serious (at Merkin Hall and at the Jazz Church, I believe) and comic (with Peter Schickele). A remarkable group.
    Wow! I certainly wasn't expecting that. The Canticum Novum-Peter Schickele concerts were great (I only joined the group this year but my mom has sung in the group for quite a while now), I love looking through the sheet music for his "Liebeslieder polkas" and such. How suprising to meet someone who knows Harold here! I suppose the musical world really is pretty small.

Mr. Garritan - thank you so much! The more people we can get to come to this, obviously, the better. It took a lot of effort to pull the whole thing together with Stephen Schwartz and Del Tredici and all of the great-great-grandchildren of Longfellow and yadda yadda.

I can't begin to describe how fortunate I feel having a perfectly good 'ol windmachine tucked away for a few megabytes on my computer, you never know when these things might come in handy.

rbowser - thank you for the support, and I'd definitely recommend trying to sneak in the wind machine somewhere in your music, it's actually really fun! Particularly for transitions and stuff, you can get some really awesome mystical effects without the need for the cheesy ascending chimes.

"The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind", or as it were, neatly compiled on my harddrive.

Go Back to forum