• Register
  • Help

Topic: Paean Pipes

Share/Bookmark

Paean Pipes

Since it was suggested that Paean for a Pie would make a good pipe organ piece, here is the organ version. I think I like the organ version better than the original!

Paean Pipes

Made with GPO organ.

Richard

Re: Paean Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Since it was suggested that Paean for a Pie would make a good pipe organ piece, here is the organ version. I think I like the organ version better than the original!

Paean Pipes

Made with GPO organ.

Richard
    Can't wait to hear this when I get home Richard. I'll get back to you later.

Regards, Graham

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland

Paean Pipes

Made with GPO organ.

Richard
    Love the way this unwinds towards the end before regaining momentum again. Not perhaps to everyone's taste Richard - but I could imagine a number of settings were this would work really well. Perhaps it's my strange sense of humor but this would be a great way to end a solemn Choral Evensong! A real contrast to what would have gone before - and I'd love to see the choir process out trying to keep a straight face and stiff upper lip! Would also make a good addition to any recital. I like this and thanks for giving us the opportunity to hear this rendered on the GPO organ.

Regards, Graham

I do believe I like the organ version better, as well,
    Richard!

One thought I had while listening was perhaps to
    work more with different registrations; changing the
    organ voicing during the piece for contrast, and
    so on.

All my best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

This was a good idea, Richard--I had to hear my sound card's organ playing the MIDI file, rather than the GPO Organ rendered on the MP3 file, because that site's player never works for me. But, I got the idea of how this works with the Organ, and I think swapping instruments was a very successful experiment.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Agreed, it would be improved by registration changes. If I were playing it, I would make changes as I played, but not always the same changes.

Randy, what happens when you try the mp3? If you can't play it streaming, maybe you could download it and it should then work. But one solution would be to open GPO Studio and set up 3 organ stops, and then select GPO Studio as your playback device.

Richard

Hi, Richard

"...Randy, what happens when you try the mp3?..."

It's not just the Sibelius site, but several that use players that somehow just aren't compatible on my computer. It just sits there when I push play.

"...If you can't play it streaming, maybe you could download it and it should then work..."

I went to the site again, but couldn't find an option to download instead of playing it.

"...But one solution would be to open GPO Studio and set up 3 organ stops, and then select GPO Studio as your playback device..."

My music comptuer is kept offline. This one I'm on right now is just for the internet. But the GPO Studio is something I never use--it didn't work for me very well, sticking, crashing etc. I open up instances of Kontact as I need them when I'm working on music.

It's OK though, I've gotten an idea of how your piece sounds on an organ, and I like it!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I didn't have a chance to comment on the other one, but I think that both versions are nice. I think the organ makes it seem more mysterious than playful. I don't invision the kitties playing chase in this version. It works well in both mediums.

~Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Hi Richard – I listened to this a few times last night and again today. I no longer hear the kittens playing in the tree, but I do like this better than the piano version.

As far as play back - every mp3 I hear off of the Sibelius site seems to start a a slightly higher pitch and then drop a little a couple of seconds into it.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum