• Register
  • Help

Topic: Various Sample Libraries

Share/Bookmark

Various Sample Libraries

Is there anywhere that someone has posted the same piece rendered with various sample libraries (GPO, Kirk Hunter, etc.) to make comparison easier?

Re: Various Sample Libraries

Quote Originally Posted by raweber
    Is there anywhere that someone has posted the same piece rendered with various sample libraries (GPO, Kirk Hunter, etc.) to make comparison easier?
    Search the forum for "Best [instrument/section] Library", or "[Instrument/Section] Library comparison". You'll turn up everything from comparison using the same MIDI file with two or more libs to heated flamewars.

Should be enough to help you formulate an opinion.

Belbin

You can check out "The Concerto Project" on my website. Here's the link:

http://www.swanswingpress.com/concerto_project.htm

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way and you'll see links to various audio clips where I realize the same passages with different combinations of libraries. This was during what I call the "tryout" phase.

I haven't updated my site for a while, and anyway I've been so caught up in other things that I haven't had time to work on the Concerto Project for a couple of months now. Luckily, I'm starting to get to a point where a lot of my other stuff is nearing completion, and soon I'll be able to get back to it.

Anyway, I hope you'll find that of interest.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks for the link. I've taken a look at the page and read your comments and they are very interesting. This discussion thread may give you another avenue of attack on the brass (you expressed disappointment with your brass samples on the web page).

I will need to listen to the samples a few more times to begin to draw conclusions, but enjoy reading about the process.

D.P., M.K.:
    Your piano concerto sounds great so far. I read about how the recording equipment failed, but that you did have a happy audience. I've really enjoyed listening to the different revisions of the renderings of it available on your webpage , and reading the library insights offered that accompany the parts of the work you have thus far produced! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thank you.

I'm about finished with a huge project that I've been doing for a publisher. It's been pretty much sucking the life out of me for months, but I hope I can get rid of it and get back to the Concerto this weekend.

But I don't mean to hijack this thread. I'll start a new one when I have something ready to post.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum