• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tone of the Strad

Share/Bookmark

Red face Tone of the Strad

Hi there,

I've been using the Strad for a while now and I'm a little troubled with the tonal quality. I am using, with good effect, the various key switch options along with expression pedal and mod wheel but often, with certain notes, the tone of the instrument sounds more like a chanter (the instrument used to practice the bagpipes)! The tone is rather thin and nasaly and doesn't sound quite right.

Has anyone found this to be a problem? I am careful as to how it sits in the mix with other instruments and have used the various effects that come with it, such as the reverb.

Is there a way to alter or edit the EQ of the Strad with the K2 payer? Or am I missing something? I have tried setting the expression pedal at various points but this does not seem to make any difference.

FYI, I have Alesis active montitors that are very good and I use these in conjunction with a Yamaha 12 channel mixer.

Do I need my ears syringing?

Thanks all.

Re: Tone of the Strad

Quote Originally Posted by phil@cablinguk.com
    I have tried setting the expression pedal at various points but this does not seem to make any difference.
    What do you mean by setting the expression pedal? The pedal should be used fluidly while playing to continually change volume and timbre; otherwise, you will get a static (and unrealistic) tone quality.

I have not tried to EQ the instrument in the K2 Player, but you can apply effects through a host app, like a sequencer. I use Sonar and sometimes apply EQ to the Strad to get a warmer tone.

To apply EQ in K2 you would need to set the effect on an output.

Go Back to forum