• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: So proud of my hometown!

Share/Bookmark

So proud of my hometown!

While I was posting my daily defense of classical music, I decided to post a few pics of Schermerhorn Hall in Nashville, TN. I am so excited that they got the funding and built this thing... especially now that Nashville is truly becoming "Music City" and not just "Country Music City". Nashville has Leonard Slatkin filling in after the untimely death of their champion who the hall is named after. You all have to see these pictures. If you click the images on the page it opens full rez shots. You have to see how amazing it is! I can't wait to go to a concert there. The place is so sound proof a 727 can fly right over it and it won't be heard.

http://www.nashvillesymphony.org/main.taf?p=17,8
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: So proud of my hometown!

That's a pretty fancy place for pickers and grinners.

I'm kidding...I'm kidding. It's a beautiful place and must have cost a bazillion dollars. It's something of which Nashville and the state of Tennessee can be proud.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thumbs up Re: So proud of my hometown!

You should be that is quite impressive and beautiful!

Larry, very funny!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    That's a pretty fancy place for pickers and grinners.

I'm kidding...I'm kidding. It's a beautiful place and must have cost a bazillion dollars. It's something of which Nashville and the state of Tennessee can be proud.

Larry
    Actually them pickers and grinners sneak in there every once in a while!

I am dying to see a concert in there. I just need to find a free moment in life.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Jess--What a fantastic looking facility! And I had fun using the animated seating chart--Everyone has to take a look at that, zooming around to show you what your view of the stage will be depending on where you sit.

Thanks for this--Inspiring!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

wow!

is this a new building Jess?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    wow!

is this a new building Jess?

Dan

It opened in September. I have already spotted 2 or 3 concerts I want to attend. In May they are doing Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra, Respighi's Pines of Rome, and all sorts of other stuff. I have never seen a program with so much 20th century and up stuff. I am very stoked.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Jess--What a fantastic looking facility! And I had fun using the animated seating chart--Everyone has to take a look at that, zooming around to show you what your view of the stage will be depending on where you sit.

Thanks for this--Inspiring!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    And doing that while listening to the Barber Essay!!!!!
    They don't fiddle around in Nashville, do they?

Thanks for this post, Jess!

Joe

Would you like to hear a piece written to inaugurate the new concert hall? Check out the world premiere of Bela Fleck (banjo), Zakir Hussain (tabla), and Edgar Meyer (bass) with the Nashville Symphony Orchestra and conductor Leonard Slatkin playing the final movement from a Concerto written by Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain and Edgar Meyer.

The piece has not yet been released on CD, but is available this week here:
    http://performancetoday.publicradio....y=26&year=2007

Listen to it during the the first hour of the show.
    http://www.publicradio.org/tools/med...2007/04/26_pt1

That particular piece starts around 47:00, but the whole show is excellent.

Enojy!

[QUOTE=JonFairhurst]Listen to it during the the first hour of the show.
    http://www.publicradio.org/tools/med...2007/04/26_pt1
    QUOTE]
    Thanks for the link--definitely worth the listen. I particularly enjoyed Bela Fleck's rendition of "Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum". Its at the beginning of the show. Pretty cool.
    Nashville's a great town. Definitely a world music center.

Go Back to forum