• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My First Attempt (1:05)

Share/Bookmark

My First Attempt (1:05)

Hey all. First post here. Got my copy of GPO in the mail two days ago and knocked this one out just to see if I knew what I was doing... Made using FL Studio and Fruity Reverb. Comments are very welcome, as I don't have much of a clue how to use this and I'm continually listening to the demos and song samples on this site to improve.

Preferred link: http://www.ctgmusic.com/song.php?id=14855
    Easy link: http://www.suspenlute.com/nepsus/Chr...g%20Asleep.mp3

-Chris

Just a note since I didn't make it clear enough, this is a traditional tune. The only parts that are original to me are the harmonies and a few bars in the bridge that I wrote because I forgot how the original went.

Re: My First Attempt (1:05)

Very well written. Very lovely and quite stately. A nice courtly piece. Perfect for a ballroom scene in a period movie.

I want to know more about FL product you used and how you used it in this piece?
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

Well FL Studio is a sequencing program with a piano roll interface intended primarily for doing electronic and dance music but I've found it highly effective for pretty much all genres. So this is the VST version of GPO loaded into FL Studio where I entered all the notes and applied the effects.

Thanks for the positive feedback, although it did make me realize I didn't mention that not all of the work is mine. Sorry. ;D

More at: http://www.flstudio.com

-Chris

This is very cute and quaint. I loved it. You did a great job with your first try with GPO! You get very nice expression in the strings. The mixing and sound is beautiful.

This comes to mind:

Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Hi, Suspenlute

Congratulations on your "first attempt." That phrase which I've quoted from you to describe this recording is too apologetic in tone, I think. This is a Very good start on what I hope you continue to develop--It ended Just as I was hoping for the next section, in minor us what I expected--but whatever you decide to do next, because it Does want to go on, don't you think?

"...I'm continually listening to the demos and song samples on this site..."

In that case, it would seem you've been listening to some inspiring posts (easy enough to come by here!), because you've listened well.

Thanks for the music--Come back as soon as you have more!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Welcome to the forum, Chris!

Very well done, first attempt or otherwise, Chris;
    I've listened through this several times -- able
    writing, fine handling of the strings, and the
    rendering is quite, quite good.

By all means, take this piece forward!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Not trying to bump this up, I just wanted to say THANKS to those who commented.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

That's very good writing.

You might try a variation by having the basses play pizzicato.

This certainly deserves lengthening. Get to work!

Welcome to this group.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hello Chris and welcome!

As has been already mentioned, your string writing is great! Good harmonies. Basses and celli could afford to come out a little more in the mix. Those grace notes are a very nice touch!
    Not too shabby at all for two days on GPO!

Best,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    That's very good writing.

You might try a variation by having the basses play pizzicato.

This certainly deserves lengthening. Get to work!

Welcome to this group.
    I was going to try doing a pizzicato variation but at the time I hadn't yet figured out how to do a convincing pizzicato line. Maybe next time. I'd already done a 3-minute version of this tune many years ago for a similar purpose so maybe I'll make this longer after all eventually....

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs
    Hello Chris and welcome!
    As has been already mentioned, your string writing is great! Good harmonies. Basses and celli could afford to come out a little more in the mix. Those grace notes are a very nice touch!
    Not too shabby at all for two days on GPO!
    Thanks to both of you!!!

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast